SAU Community

gearbox removal

I'm taking out the gearbox of me r32, and just wondering if anybody knows the easiest way to remove the top bellhousing bolts. OMFG they are hard to get at. How many bolts are there total in the bellhousing?

By the way, whats the deal with the two piece tail shaft? I've never seen this setup b4. How strong is it?

thanx :D

The easiest way to reach the two top bellhousing bolts is to lower the rear of the gearbox as far as you can and go in from the rear of the gearbox with extra long extension for the socket. you can get a set from Super Cheap for around $30 to fit 1/2 ins drive. From memory there are 8 bolts including the starter motor + the stiffening frames between the box and block

also note that if you are planning on taking off the flywheel bolts for any reason what so ever, having the gearbox under the car at the same time could result in 12 stitches to the forearm like it did to me. right on the edge of the bellhousing. went you take it off, feel how sharp it is, you'll understand.

as for your 2 piece tailshaft, centre bearings can become a problem after time.

i got my tailshaft retubed, shortened, and made into a 1 piece for $187. had to do it for mine.