SAU Community

Few Issues With My Gts2

CrankyGTS11

Well i picked up my GTS2 during the week and drove it home... absolutly love it.. drives awesome and goes better than i expected too....

anyway as u would expect from a 19yo car it has a few minor problems..

The most majour one would be that the diff howls its head off at 90k...

the steering rack is leaking, its not much but it also has a small rattle in the left side of it... so wats the go there do i jsut replace it??? wheres the best place to get one???

Speedo: well lets just say its for indication only!! some times it wobbles around and doesnt know wat it wants to point at and other times its fine! anybody????

Rear central locking.. its jsut not working.. anyone know where the controller is hidden for the central lock?? front doors work fine just no rear...

and last thing.. the thremo for the aircon doesnt seem to be working. im not sure where the relay and fuse is for it tho??

Edited by CrankyGTS11

Steering rack... LOL.

One of the most common problems on a 31. Rip it out and have it rebuilt, or stick in a new one.

My answer was to shove in a 2nd hand rack, and when (It's not if, but when) it bollockss out, Ill be going R32 replacement.

Speedo? Sounds like the cluster has shit its self. Take it to a Guage place and have it repaired and recallibrated.

As for the other two, I cant answer, as my car doesnt have central locking, nor aircon anymore.

Maybe take it to an auto electrician and see what he can do? It all sounds electrical to me.

as a guide the 31 speedo is only a guide at 100kph they are all out by about 10 so they read 100 but are doing 90 approx!

we have checked heaps of them and there all the same

diff whine is common in all aus r31's

central locking would be dead motors in the rear doors, don't know about replacements unless second hand from a GXE is fine with you.... $70 i went to a remote aftermarket locking kit.

steer rack is a 19 year old item and unless you know it has been rebuilt at some point think of the last time it was looked at was just before it left the factory, you can find them on ebay or the local wreckers.

with the speedo does the odometer still work?? if not then the little cog would have fallen apart and bits of it may be interfering with the speed function...

The speedo in my GTS2 was pretty much spot on - within 2km/h anyway (running 225/50R16 tyres)

If your speedo isn't working, and the reverse lights are also not working, then check your fuses. They both share the same fuse. I found this out AFTER shelling out for a new speedo drive unit. :cool:

Rear central locking and air con - could be a number of things. 19 year old car and all.

Diff noisy? that's what stereos are for.

Leaking steering rack? Yeh, put in a recon replacement. It will sharpen up the steering to where it should be.

What number GTS is yours?

The speedo in my GTS2 was pretty much spot on - within 2km/h anyway (running 225/50R16 tyres)

If your speedo isn't working, and the reverse lights are also not working, then check your fuses. They both share the same fuse. I found this out AFTER shelling out for a new speedo drive unit. ;)

Rear central locking and air con - could be a number of things. 19 year old car and all.

Diff noisy? that's what stereos are for.

Leaking steering rack? Yeh, put in a recon replacement. It will sharpen up the steering to where it should be.

What number GTS is yours?

I bought number 11.

I have ordered a replacment steering rack, would still like to do sumthing bout the diff.. sick of havin to yell at my passangers when im doin 90k... lol

would still like to do sumthing bout the diff.. sick of havin to yell at my passangers when im doin 90k... lol

even re-built diff's still have the whine. i don't even know that if you replace the diff with an after market one, Kaas or something like that, if it will help.

mind you I have had a theory for a while now that the whine may have something to do with the balancer (forgot what its called) in the centre of the 2 piece tail shaft, i had one crap out on me and the noise was the same just 10x the volume.. the only solution to this theory is a custom 1 piece tail shaft..

Try total traction diffs in Moorabbin. He is pretty good with diffs.

The whine in the R31 is due to harmonics, not diff or tailshaft. You can take a diff out of a 31 and put it in a VL, and no whine. It because the rear floorpan of the car was originally designed for IRS, and the old borg warner whine that is in every borg warner diff is amplified by the boot and boot floor harmonics.

I wouldn't be putting a minispool in your GTS. Apart from being illegal, it makes them a pain in the arse to drive normally.

If you want some help with your GTS, send me an email to [email protected] and I can help you with most questions, parts and just general knowledge.