SAU Community

3071r, Cams, Cam Gears - Results Now Posted

i still cant get over how fast it is now... if i had shit tyres on the back... the thing would be downright dangerous. even with really good tyres on it atm, at 4500 rpm in 4th it starts to squirm at the rear lol.

going to be fun drifting it now :D

Just to clarify, the turbo is the cropped version, rb25 is a 100K km stock motor which has had plenty of thrashing from me with it, perfect health so far, stock intake manifold stock exhaust manifold also.

Just to confirm aren't you running some sort of GCG housing on the cropped 3071R or am I mistaken. Good result nevertheless.

Nice result.

Out of interest, was it the inlet or exhaust that had the biggest effect on the curve? And what did adjusting the exhaust side do to the overall shape (seeing as i only have an adjustable exhaust wheel and retain vct)?

i forgot to reply to this. We tried Advancing the exhaust gear also, according to what revs210 said above thought we would give it a go, and it lost a lot of power everywhere, so we then set to zero, and it was the same as the stock gear (obviously) so knew we were heading in the right track, then retarded the exhaust cam by a few degrees, made power, then settled on 1 degree and it gained a bit more, then once we started advancing the intake cam thats where bigger gains started happening.

We really ran out of time, so i reckon theres more in it by retarding the exhaust cam some more, its just that it takes 10-15 mins each time to get to the exhaust cam gear, as opposed to 5 mins for the intake.

Just to confirm aren't you running some sort of GCG housing on the cropped 3071R or am I mistaken. Good result nevertheless.

yeah mate, GCG supplied the turbo, its a cropped t3 version with a GCG cast copy of the op6 housing and its a .71 A/R bolts up to RB flanges etc. seems to work really really well!

Good to see you had a go at the advancing of the exhaust cam, at least in the interest of science we have some data to help others out with the install of a similar setup. I regret not taking more notes with the cams I have done in the past, especially as I am going to be dropping in some more to the GTR I have now.

It appears tighe use the 0.006 lift to name their cams.

708c - 254 duration 8.5mm lift

805c - 261 duration 8.8mm lift

806c - 264 duration *not 100% sure unable to find the data*

brup brup brup. :)

Whats the idle set at simon?

• 1 month later...
yeah mate, GCG supplied the turbo, its a cropped t3 version with a GCG cast copy of the op6 housing and its a .71 A/R bolts up to RB flanges etc. seems to work really really well!

I was looking at one of these, u had trouble keeping the boost below 20psi originally, did u fix the problem, was it to do with the .71 a/r?

no it was the gate, the hole was too small IMO so i bored it out, modded the flapper so it sealed better and bored out the screamer pipe (a bell mouth dump would prob have better boost control) and boost then dropped to 16 psi (its a 16 psi acuator) use the boost controller to bring it on harder and at around 17 psi and it was sweet.

i highly doubt they will run under a bar tho... the gate just wont flow enough.

240rwkw 'maybe' 250rwkw if your lucky with simply bolting a highflow on.

260rwkw with cams from the highflow.

Go the GT3071 and have the w/g ported from the word go and your looking at potentially more.

Highflow option in my opinion is just crap. 240-250rwkw is slow; if you don't think it is then give it 3 days and it will be.

For a car to consistently feel reasonably quick you really do need 280rwkw odd.

Go with simons setup you really cannot go wrong. Skimp a couple hundred and go the highflow and your looking at disappointment.

I've been for a spin in Simons and it is very impressive; to myself its not laggy; has awesome mid range and top end; and I hate lag. :)

haha thanks cubes.

Its a pretty simple fit, the 4 studs need to be changed on the manifold to allow the spacer to fit, then custom oil and water lines and a silicon bend for the outlet and inlets... all pretty straight forward stuff tho.

cubes is right about 240 rwkw being slow tho... i have driven a few 240 rwkw r33's and they just dont feel fast at all... if you havent had a high powered car before then sure it will be fast for a while.. but you get used to it.

with mine.. it still scares me :) esp on a cold cold night in the hills i cannot floor it at all at it justs gains way too much speed too soon :P