SAU Community

Splitfire Coil Pack Problems

yye-33w

Hey i have had Splitfires in my 95 R33 for about a year and a bit now and about 2 months ago i had one blow, then 2 more within days of each oither in the last week

I have never heard of these blowing and know that they have a lifetime warranty right?

I am running a wolf 3D ECU, and have also replaced the spark plugs

when i replaced the first splitfire coil.

gap was good enough according to my mate.

so now i have 3 splitfires and 3 stockies (2nd hand) in the engine

Just wanna know if anyone has come accros this and maybe shead some light as to why they r blowing.

Also i noted that the last one i replaced, it was cutting in and out and then finally blew similar with the 2nd but the 2nd was more like go for a bit then not go for a bit and same with the first one.

They were new 15 months ago also the splitfires that is

Ok hit me back guys

Appreciate anyones 2 cents hey

Peace

Kier ;)

Edited by yye-33w

Hey Dood,

I have no real world experience, but think i could cut down the possibilities.

Not sure bout any device like a coil pack having a life time warranty, but I know many people with Split Fires, non have had them fail. Having more then one fail in such a short time span would indicate an issue other then the coil itself.

All you've mentioned is the Wolf, are you running 7bar boost? 95% water injection?... anything else that would load a charging device?

At the mo, all i can think of, is the dwell settings in your Wolf is killing them. Im aware ppl dick with dwell when using SF's.

PS: How are they failing? Do they simple stop firing, and cause a dropped cylinder, or is one being sporadic at certain RPM's?

Theres my 2 cents, take it n barter, trade, sell, exploit - what have you ;)

cheers

Edited by GeeTR

thanks mate, haha umm basically the first went on 12 psi but then since then i have barely boosted and the last 2 have gone on stock boost (6-7)

basically they are intermittently coming on then going its weird aye

Kier

• 1 year later...

mine failed after 14 months.

If u call up the seller/distributer they will most probally say its defective manufacturing. Been told theres 1 in 100 theres a defective batch.

Also from what i have been told its not a very popular brand in Japan (dont quote me: This is what i have been told cause they do suck in Japan hence why they are pushing it overseas + the cheap price).

Causing me so much headache when everyone pushes the blame around.

hope that helps.

I had two of mine blow because the dwell on the computer was incorrectly set. I had never heard of anyone blowing any before mine but now i guess i'm not the only one:p

Do u have the coilpack cover off? I'd be leaving that off anyway...

• 1 month later...

So when you took them out, there were no cracks etc what you could see to think it was a defect in the manufacturing? Does sound like it could be computer related. Have you got a tuner to have a look at the computer to see if there is any errors going on?