SAU Community

R32 Gtr A/c Whinning

rb180

So i went to meet up with some friends yesterday and had the air con on while driving and all was fine. Got to the destination and turned the car off and left it for about 4 hours. Come back outside and turn the car back on and the air con is now blowing hot air and i can hear a whinning sound from behind the passenger side dash that wasn't there before. Does anyone have any idea what it could be? Is the condenser or something behind the dash there?

I had a search aswell but couldn't find anyone that had a whinning sound. Just alot of broken compressors and the like.

any help would be great cheers.

If it's blowing out hot air and making a whining noise, I would say that it's something to do with your motor which controls the hot/cool air (can't remember of the actual name, I keep forgetting :no: ).

Is it stuck on the hot air or can you change it back to cool?

If you left the car for 4 hours on a hot day, then the A/C is going to blow hot air, especially because there is no airflow over the condenser.

Most people, when they have their A/C on, almost always have it set to 'fresh air' instead of recycling the air from the cabin.

When you have the vents set to fresh air the system has to work harder to cool the hot air flowing over the condenser, whereas if you have the air set to recycle then the system is recycling the already cool air thus making the system work a lot more effectively and efficiently.

Your fan speed will also have a bearing on temperatures. The higher the fan speed, the quicker the cycle time, thus, the higher the temps. The lower the fan speed the longer the cycle time, thus, the lower the temps.

As for the whining sound, that is your heater fan. It is located directly behind your glove box. It could just be a build up of crap (from having the system set to 'fresh air') and require a clean out, or it could be on its way out.

Does the system still blow cool air after a period of driving? And does the whining sound increase as you increase the fan speed?

Edited by White GTS-T

thanks for the help guys..

Funny thing is i went back today to check it out and the whinning sound has now gone.. The air does go cool when i set the degrees to 18 and does go hot when the degrees is set accordingly. I also tried the a/c and it definitely isn't warm air anymore but not exactly 'cold'.

Even after driving for 10 minutes the air was still blowing hot and i can't check if the sound increases with the fan speed because the sound has now gone hehe

I always use the recycle when using the a/c and only really keep it on full fan speed to get the cabin cool at the start then turn the fan down.

Anyway ill see how it goes 2moro and post up my results. Thanks again guys