SAU Community

I Write Off My Jeep

NicsR33

Hi all

It's been about 2 weeks and Allianz still hasnt got back to me soooo i was wondering if someone has been in the same situation (hopefully with allianz) and they can advise me on whats the case. basically I rolled my jeep (not fun) and it has been declared a write off (by the smash repair, not officially by the insurance company because their lazy and haven't gone around to check it yet).

Anyways, i've got a fair few parts on this car that would go to waste, example new soft top roof, old man emu suspension and some big tyres which were all installed just weeks before my accident. i was wondering if:

a) i was able to rock up and just take these parts from the smash repair place

b) offer to buy the jeep wrangler back from insurance (if so is this expensive)

if anyone has been in a similar situation and can shed some light that'll be great.

many thanks.

PS. roll bars FTW!!!

thats ghey, ill offer them treifitteh

on another note, i paid my insurance 2 months ago exactly in full totaling $1100. My excess is now $1000 sooo does that mean give or take 2 months from the 12 month contract, most of the un-used insurance will fund the excess? im assuming so, it'll be like cancelling your insurance after 2 months of coverage.

geeeeeeeeeez nic, you havent even had it that long man !!!! :)

i dont think you can get the remainder of the premium back if you claim. its only if you cancel and opt out of your policy.

as for the parts. if you can replace them with standard parts, and theyre not listed on your policy, you can take them..... i think.

i remember hearing an ad for allianz just yesterday. "one call, no paperwork, and they paid me right away" lol. yeah right.

Edited by Munkyb0y

i know, 2 months exactly from buying it to towing it :-( was a great car too

im gonna blow up at allianz if i dont get my premium back, thats bs so if i wreck my car after 2 months i get nothing but if i wreck my car after 11 months i still get nothing back. hmmmmm sounds fishy to me, makes me wonder how pay-by-the-month works out then, does someone have to pay the remaining 10 months of insurance i dont think so.

im gonna give em a call and get them to explain about this.

yep. if you pay by the month, you pay the remainder of the policy in the case of a claim.

of course then you're covered for the rest of the term of the policy :)

Edited by Munkyb0y

really? so even if u crash and write off ur car after 2 months u gotta pay for the whole year? i know this is the case during the cooling-off period. so even if you dont buy another car for 10 months or if u go with another insurance company u still gotta pay for the 10 months? doesn't sound right to me. cooooome on lunch time so i can call!!!

yes, if you're car is written off you are liable for the whole price of your policy. They discharge their obligation by paying you out. your obligation is to pay the whole 12 month policy. if you were on pay by the month and had only paid 2 months they would just deduct the 10 months owing from your settlement.

Yeah if you crash it with pay by the month they hold any outstanding payments (obviously the monthly installments) and give you the rest of the dosh back in the case of a write-off.

:) Cant win either way :yes:

You have paid for a 12 month contract.

They have accepted you as a risk.

They now pay out your claim of whatever agreed value you have, and you don't want to pay the rest of insurance thats stated on the contract?

with a write off - the assessor of the insurance company decides for total loss. Just call your insurer and find out any updates.

Most general insurers will not offer salvage if a total loss - it'll go to auction dude but again, confirm with allianze

14 day cooling off period is if you pay any money from starting a policy, and decide to cancel for whatever reason - you get a full refund. If a claim - yep, your right, no refund.

After that, full 12 month contract dude.

If you cancel you get a refund

sand was too soft, did it many times before but this time just didn't check the sand before going up. sunk in and just rolled on itself. pretty nasty drop, but the roll cage kept us nicely inside.