SAU Community

Little Car Trouble

Krishy

Hey guys

as the tittle suggests i need some help/advice on my little car trouble.....i have a r33 s1 and lately when i start it in the morning or when its cold the stutters for about 10-20 seconds or so and then idles properly.....and yes i have a load of fuel in there.....and once its warm it runs normal with all the power.....so i was just wondering what is going on there?????

thanks

Krish

I too am having the same thing happen only in the last week in my series 2, thought it may have been my fuel pump or filter so took it to get dynoed on monday and he said everything is running perfectly with no error codes.

When its warm no problems, only when its cold it will idle low amd eventualty the engine drags it up.

I looked through the forums and i think someone was saying something about cold start sensor or valve, does anyone know anything about this or have any other thoughts??

yeah when you cold start it sounds like the engine is going to die off but after a few seconds it drags itself up to normal idle......well i figured that it cant be the fuel filter as after it has warmed up it runs brilliantly.....so wtf is wrong anyone please....

I was thinking the Idle Air Control valve - (IAC) allows the correct level of air to bypass into the engine to assist idling. Search for how to clean it in the general maintenance section

Mine doesnt, once its warm idles fine. Sorry to jump in your thread krishy, but id say my issue might be the same as yours.

Edited by rush33

no problems rush33....i sort of have the same problem as you....and as for your question rubyrs4 no my idle stays constant....no going up or down.....

Yea its your idler thing me and Luke just cleaned mine

krishy i find it hard to believe your idle isnt moving

iv'e got amother issue also after my car has been on for a little while after not being on for ages 5 mins into driving it falls over sometimes i can back off and on and it comes good alot of the time i have to pull over wait 1min and restart car and them it's all good

after the cold start the revs jump up down up and down.....but once its nice and warm it just sits at either 1000rpm or sometimes around 1000-1500rpm....it only jumps up to 1500 from 1000 rpm if i have my fan and other things on at the same time.....but now i come to think of it lately it has been sort of jumpy.....not really noticeable though.....so i will take the baby out for a spin after work and see how it goes from there....fill you all in about it tomorrow

Edited by Krishy

Rush: thats the one, IAC AAC number of different names with the same function.

Krishy, its quite possible the buildup prevents the initial movements of the IAC that's why its bad when cold. Once the car warms up and it has broken the "seal" - less noticable. once cools down again, same issue. Try it and see, cant do any harm giving it a clean anyway ;)

yeah i think i will have to give this a go......well it wont hurt really.....but i am not a very mechanically minded person so slightly hesitant on doing this....anyone with experience....there is a carton in it for ya

yeah i think i will have to give this a go......well it wont hurt really.....but i am not a very mechanically minded person so slightly hesitant on doing this....anyone with experience....there is a carton in it for ya

I'm free this Sat arvo and I wanna do the same thing. I'll be the guinea pig! :P

Forget what Madaz says ... I'll take the carton! :woot:

j/k

Just did my AAC then, was filthy, went through half a box of ear buds. Its not hard krishy, just a prick of a spot to get into. Started it up dead cold and seemed to run normal. Will let it cool right down again and try again a few times but seems to have fixed it so far.

Thanks fellas for all ur help. Let us know how it goes krishy

hey just wondering do you start the car up when you jump in.... or do you get in turn to 1 click back from run and wait for the fuel pump and injectors fill as sometimes they can be a bit dry then starting it up with no fuel in the injectors makes the car stutter for a few seconds.

juest a suggestion.... cheers... michael

also another reason this could happen would be if you have aftermarket ecu and the cold start isnt setup properly, my old 31 coupe used to die a few times on cold mornings before it would run just cause the cold start hadnt been setup on the microtech, probly isnt in this case but just another thing for people to note if they have this issue.