SAU Community

Highly Modified Engines With Insurence

wanted to ask others who have highly modified engines, about how they go with insurence. do you notify the company of your aftermarket ecu's turbos ect ect?

the rule of thumb is that the car has to be road worthy? (or legal? not sure which one it was) otherwise it voids any claims.

so how exactly do 1000hp engines get around wondering if they will be covered if anything happens?

Edited by R34NRG

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I heard if you spell it correctly it helps getting a better price.

Do a search - 1000's of threads on insurance. And with your driving record and age, there would only be one company - Just Cars.

And tell them EVERYTHING otherwise if there were a claim - bye bye!! You have paid insurance for no reason. Always be upfront.

wanted to ask others who have highly modified engines, about how they go with insurence. do you notify the company of your aftermarket ecu's turbos ect ect?

the rule of thumb is that the car has to be road worthy? (or legal? not sure which one it was) otherwise it voids any claims.

so how exactly do 1000hp engines get around wondering if they will be covered if anything happens?

Hey,

Usually you'd want to be asking these questions of your insurance company _before_ you made changes to your vehicle :thumbsup:

Shannon's and Justcars will insure a vehicle with what they call "legal modifications".

Basically, this means that any modification you make that is _not_ owner-approvable must be engineered

in order to comply with the strict definition. Any mods made that aren't engineerable would be grounds for non-payment

if the incident's likelihood of occurrence was increased by the mods.

Whether or not they exercise the right not to pay because you made an illegal modification is another story...

there are instances of people being paid by Justcars despite having illegal mods that _could_ have contributed

to a crash or a theft.

Regards,

Saliya

Edited by saliya

get it engineered, then provide details of mods, and the engineering cert to your insurer, then get another loan to pay for the premium.

I love seeing threads by you about your awesome engine.

I'm looking forward to others in the near future

Its fkd get third party and hope for the best, you cant do anything except i think shannons covers all mods and dont ask questions but just cars will screw you so yeah if your under 25 ur gone.

yeah try shannons. they dont seem to give you grief about mods. they just note them on your policy and send you an updated version. they're also guaranteed not to give you the shits :)

Im with Just Cars, can't recommend them.

Mate has a fully custom/worked mini [THE MINI]... she gets reasonable rates & she's made a couple of claims due to others bad driving with no problems.

I will be making the change at the end of current policy to Shannons.

Largely interested in this too.

Hyperthetical question... So its only speculation on here..

If you had insurance would you tell the insurance guys about your EBC as they are classified illegal and would need a engineers cert or the power fc? Or your just hoping in a smash you can wack the stock ecu on it and disconnect the ebc?

Is it better to just tell them what you know is legal?

Edited by DECIM8

My insurance knows about this and they were fine with insurance, but if you have "any illegal modifications you will not be covered". So I'm also confused on this is your in Victoria....other people have said they can only not pay insurance if it may have contributed to the accident but then thats more rumor than fact :)

get it engineered, then provide details of mods, and the engineering cert to your insurer, then get another loan to pay for the premium.

I love seeing threads by you about your awesome engine.

I'm looking forward to others in the near future

haha, i to am loving these references to said awesome engine.

wonder how long before we see it for sale sans car due to unforeseen foliage or light pole :)

i was lucky and my just car insurance policy cover all mods...

i have an unlimited mods upgrade if i want....just got to make sure they are legal and that i notify the insurance company so that its on my policy!

i jus have 3rd party and the bit extra.....cos im only young full comp is not worth it when i dont earn that much!

i was completely honest with just car.

stated my mods which were mostly bigger parts :). and some internal fun bits.

if i stated the car cost me 12500 i had to pay 1200 for compo.

but if i said it was worth 16000 (no agreed value :thumbsup: ), i only have to pay 770 for compo. !!!!!!!!

not too shabby

* figures are annual payments

Edited by r33cruiser

DECIM8 - tell them everything.

hahaha I highly doubt any company will touch Andru apart from Just Cars- just do a search on his threads here and see what his driving history has been like

^^ EXACTLY, which means if you have a boot controller your not covered, a pfc, to big rims, coilovers, cf bonnet, cams, turbos, inj, fuel pump you get the idea. Technically in vic these are all legal so your not covered. We all wish it wasnt that way and during claim time they may not care or pick up on it but there is always that risk.

DECIM8 - tell them everything.

hahaha I highly doubt any company will touch Andru apart from Just Cars- just do a search on his threads here and see what his driving history has been like

lol why does everyone still say "look at andrus driving history" i admit ive been in accidents but none were my fault. im yet to even get a speeding fine let alone lose my licence like half of the people here.....but no one gives them shit lol.

i guess thats SAU for u.

nehoo whats the go with modifications influencing a accident? i heard that if a modification is the result of a accident your not covered either?

Just call the company mate, they are the experts, they'll give you the correct answers. Not people on here.

And with your CLAIMS history also, regardless of not your fault or not, you have still had quite a few in your short time of driving. not just speeding, loss of licence etc.