SAU Community

Vibration At Low Gears!

Unicorn Rider

Hey guys, im getting a strange vibration at the first and/or second gear(s).

Usually it comes around 1500-2000 rpm and goes away when the 3rd kicks in or the rpm increases (AT).

Cannot really precise the place but sounds like it comes from the left side of the car... wierd...

Is not strong, and its not coming through the steering wheel.

Do you guys have any ideia of what could it be? :D

I've searched the forum and couldnt find anything like it...

Edited by Unicorn Rider

have you checked the fluid levels in the transmission yet?

that would be a good initial step! Fingers crossed you might just have to top it up and away you go?

( I always try to think positive )

so check that out and see what it looks like

have you run your hands over the outside of the tyre to see if its got a bulge in it?

I am just thinking that if it were a tyre out of balance then sometimes the vibrations " level out " when you go past a certain speed.

a few things to check

Hey guys, im getting a strange vibration at the first and/or second gear(s).

Usually it comes around 1500-2000 rpm and goes away when the 3rd kicks in or the rpm increases (AT).

Cannot really precise the place but sounds like it comes from the left side of the car... wierd...

Is not strong, and its not coming through the steering wheel.

Do you guys have any ideia of what could it be? :D

Yeah always start at the cheapest, easiest thing to fix first. low RPM vibrations could be a worn tyre, unbalanced tyre, wheel alignment,, low tranny fluid, low attesa fluid. start there first, then go looking for expensive problems like CV joints, steering racks etc.

wouldn't most of those problems be more related to road speed rather than gear and RPM? Also, most would get worse as speed increased. Also, most of them (wheel balance/alignment etc) would be felt through the wheel?

I'd usually associate RPM base vibrations with Clutch, but i guess his car is an auto still?

And if it's Uni Joint, DON'T WAIT TO FIX IT!!! I'm learning that the hard, 'hole in side of gearbox', way.

I have an auto... found that the centre driveshaft bearing was F@rked as well as the trans mount. highly likely that's the case. Fixing those will get rid of it. but topping up the trans fluid levels is always helpful.

Easiest way to check if the drive shaft bearing and or trans mount is gorn, is jump under and move the shaft and trans around. If they move more than a few mm (max 1cm) either way then look at getting them replaced.

The oil levels are ok. Just the boot one is close to minimal... but ill top it. Anyway, since the snow is gone im not using 4WD, so that shouldnt be the problem right?!

The tires are also ok.

Well, ill check the front driveshaft.

Thanks! :wave:

Um, no thats not quite right - the attessa system uses 4WD all the time, snow or not, so that could still be the problem. Just as long as the fluid level in the boot hasn't dissappeared all together that is....

What about if you still get vibration when the car was in neutral, and revving 1000 - 2000rpm???

I think that there is some kind of resonance in the RB engine at around 1500rpm, because if I free-rev my RS4 there is a vibration at that speed. It's fine when under a load (i.e. in gear). My L28ET has a similar resonance (I-6 engines are very smooth, but perhaps that is the 'rough' spot in the Nissan's?).

Make sure you can isolate the issue if possible. If the problem is apparent at 40km/h in second, down change to 1st & check again. If the problem persists no matter what engine speed, then you are looking at an 'output' issue. Look for a possible fault in the centre bearing, or perhaps a thrown weight from the main or transfer driveshafts (working out of where the weight 'was' should be easy - there will be a shiny spot, or a broken spot-weld). You might also want to consider an on-car wheel balance. I found that my old MR30 Skyline was a right pain to get balanced due to a disc issue.

Also look for any issue with a dragging calliper or warped disc.

But as others said, a visual inspection & bit of time will help you narrow down the cause.

Well, no vibes at free-rev.

It happens precisely from 1800-2000 rpm at 1st and 2nd. No vibes at 3rd or 4th.

Hope its not serious (have no money for serious right now, hehe).

I'll take it to a mechanic to check it under.

Thanks guys!

if it's in a specific rev range and only in certain gears my money is on transmission, maybe the bands for 1st and 2nd are worn out? get it checked by a transmission mechanic as they'll know the signs better.

It stoped! :blink:

No more vibrations at any gear....

I didnt do anything. Not even topped the boot oil (ATTESA).

Will take it to check anyway.

Which oil do you guys recomend for the boot oil compartment?