SAU Community

Front Swaybar Troubles

I just put in on of sydneykids front sway bars and all seems good except it seems to move in the horizontal direction and not stay central. This in turn causes the swaybar to touch and scrape the subframe as it flexes which is loud and anoying as hell!

I have done up the d bushes tight aswell. What else can i do? it seems the stock swaybar has thought about this as there is a flat section in the bar and this point whereas the shelley bar is all uniformly round throughout untill the ends.

please help i have a track day tomorrow and i dont want to have to put the stock swaybar in!

it shouldn't be moving horizontally at all! It should only twist.

do you have a pic of the point where it's catching and a couple showing how it's sitting under the car and at the wheel?

Just to address r338oy's comment. Whiteline really need to take a long hard look at their QA because i've seen a few examples that should not have made it out of the factory. A mates s13 that is maybe 20mm lower than stock has all of 80mm ground clearance due to the front sway bar being the wrong shape.

whats stopping it? the links and rose jointed at the top and bottom i think? and the dbushes are greases so technically it is free to move horizontally?

or am i way off?

yeah, but it shouldn't. It is only supposed to twist. The links at the wheels should be vertical (well sort of when you are playing with adjustable bars) They shouldn't be pulling the bars sideways. If they are then the bar is f**ked and should be returned as it's been made wrong.

Thats why i asked for pics. To ensure you have it installed right and not pulling it one way or the other

so i grinded off some of the lip that it was touching on and recentered and a quick hills run and nothing...

my only fear is it is temporary and it will come back tomorrow mid track...

Swaybars moving laterally usually indicates some form of geometry problem with the car. Swaybars are usually self aligning, they centre themselves with even loads from each wheel. If it is consistently one way then that is a strong indication that something is not aligned with that particular car. My first suggestion would be to check for what it is that is causing the bar to be pulled one way not the other. Uneven ride heights, bent links and worn control arm bushes are some of the more common reasons.

There are lateral lock kits available which clamp on the bar adjacent to the D bushes and prevent the bars moving sideways. This is becoming more common on late model cars, for example 350Z's, V35's and M35 Stageas have lateral locks on their standard bars. PM me for details, they are not expensive and work very effectively.

Cheers

Gary

Just to address r338oy's comment. Whiteline really need to take a long hard look at their QA because i've seen a few examples that should not have made it out of the factory. A mates s13 that is maybe 20mm lower than stock has all of 80mm ground clearance due to the front sway bar being the wrong shape.

That's unusual, it always pays to check the bar part number, it should be on a label on one arm of the bar. Lots of Nissan swaybars are almost interchangeable, perhaps someone who should know better has sold him an "equivalent". Whiteline will exchange any bar incorrectly supplied and retrain the relevant sales person if necessary.

Cheers

Gary