SAU Community

Whats Going On

Burgies

Hey guys, been procrastinating again looking at skylines I want to buy and somethings confusing me. Im looking at GTST 33's and some people are saying they are all wheel drive, some are saying they are rear and one person even said it was front. I know a lot of different variations came out, are some different? Could someone say which skylines are what? would be awesome thanks.

-Burgies

there are no front wheel drive R32,R33,R34 skylines

R32 - 1989 to 1994 (1992 onwards is GTR only)

BNR32 - 2.6 lite twin turbo, all wheel drive, GTR - manual 5 speed only

HR32 - 2.0 litre single turbo, rear wheel drive, GTST - auto and manual 5 speed (boot sticker will say GTS-T)

HCR32 - 2.0 litre single turbo, all wheel drive, GTS4 (i think its HCR32) - auto and manual 5 speed

R33 - 1993 to 1998

BCNR33 - 2.6 litre twin turbo, all wheel drive, GTR - manual 5 speed only

ECR33 - 2.5 litre single turbo, rear wheel drive, GTST - auto and manual 5 speed (boot sticker will say GST25T)

ENR33 - 2.5 litre non turbo, all wheel drive, GTS4 - auto and manual 5 speed

R34 (1999 to 2002) - 1999 onwards is GTR only

BNR34 - 2.6 litre twin turbo, all wheel drive, GTR - manual 6 speed only

ER34 - 2.5 litre single turbo, rear wheel drive, GTST - auto (tiptronic) and manual 5 speed

ENR34 - 2.5 litre non turbo, all wheel drive, GTS4 - auto (tiptronic) and manual 5 speed

Wow awesome info, thanks paulr3, thats a great help in finding what I want. I find it weird that some people dont even know what they are driving. One last thing, are the AWD constant. Or does it switch on? If so does it work out when you need it or do you turn it on manually?

as kris said its a computer controlled 4wd system

its not like your typical land cruiser that has hi and low range gears and rear and 4wd options

the GTR and GTS4 have a front diff and transfer case but its computer controlled and you can't just choose it etc

basically its rear wheel drive, until you loose traction

the GTR and GTS4 4wd system watch the speed sensors on the rear wheels, well actually they are the ABS sensors

and once these wheels loose traction, thus they spin really fast, the speed of each wheel is faster but the vehicle speed is slow

it uses this condition to detect "SLIP" and then it engages the front clutch to the transfer case, which engages the front diff

the level of engagement is based on how hard the wheels are spining. it also looks at letaral G-sensors in the car

and uses this to detect the car sliding or slipping around a corner, and if it detects this condition (lets say car sliding to the right out of a corner)

then it will apply some power to the front diff to help gain traction.

there is a latency delay between when the rear wheels slip, to the time the fronts will grip so its not a true "always-on" 4wd system

some other GTR models such as the vspec have a faster 4wd computer so they latency or delay is less

the GTR 4wd system is always on and you cant disable it, unless you pull the fuse out or the system has failed

4wd light on the dash will indicate this. vspec version has SLIP as well on the dash which will illuminate when the vspec system detects traction loss

on the GTR in the centre console there will be a front torque gauge, this is in kgcm2 (torque) and it will increase when the car transfers power to the front

so if you sit at the lights and bag it up, once the car fries the rear wheels and the computer activates the front clutch pack, the front torque guage will move upwards and power will come out the front wheels

more other useless info;

the gtr is a rear wheel drive car converted to front wheel drive

the evo lancer and the subaru are a front wheel drive car converted to rear

they basically have a central computer system, a front or centre diff and transfer a % of power to the front or rear on traction loss

neither of them will transfer 100% to one drivetrain, nor where they designed to, ie you cant make the GTR move all power to the front

or make the evo move all power to the front (without lots of hacking and driveline modifications anyway)

there are no front wheel drive R32,R33,R34 skylines

R32 - 1989 to 1994 (1992 onwards is GTR only)

BNR32 - 2.6 lite twin turbo, all wheel drive, GTR - manual 5 speed only

HR32 - 2.0 litre single turbo, rear wheel drive, GTST - auto and manual 5 speed (boot sticker will say GTS-T)

HCR32 - 2.0 litre single turbo, all wheel drive, GTS4 (i think its HCR32) - auto and manual 5 speed

R33 - 1993 to 1998

BCNR33 - 2.6 litre twin turbo, all wheel drive, GTR - manual 5 speed only

ECR33 - 2.5 litre single turbo, rear wheel drive, GTST - auto and manual 5 speed (boot sticker will say GST25T)

ENR33 - 2.5 litre non turbo, all wheel drive, GTS4 - auto and manual 5 speed

R34 (1999 to 2002) - 1999 onwards is GTR only

BNR34 - 2.6 litre twin turbo, all wheel drive, GTR - manual 6 speed only

ER34 - 2.5 litre single turbo, rear wheel drive, GTST - auto (tiptronic) and manual 5 speed

ENR34 - 2.5 litre non turbo, all wheel drive, GTS4 - auto (tiptronic) and manual 5 speed

:( farken