SAU Community

R31 Petrol Consumption?

I've specifically joined this site to ask this question, as everyone here is a skyline enthusiast and knows their stuff.

I'm planning on getting an R31 as my first car; due to financial restrictions, my bubble of an R32 as a first was bursted. I still have months before I get my license (November), but being impatient and a car lover I wanted to plan it now. As I don't have a job, meaning no savings, my parents will unfortunately have to pay for my first car. 

So it'll have to be cheap, and I love skylines, so an R31 is my best option. Now t

my question, the R31 models usually  have a 6 Cylinder 3Litre RB30E engine. Is it going to kill me in petrol money? As I'm planning on doing  an apprenticeship, which requires travelling, I don't want to be struggling much with petrol on a low wage.

Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. (Off Topic)

If anyone in Victoria is looking for an electrician apprentice, here I am! I live in Werribee, so anywhere around there would be fine. 

Edited by driftdreamer

hey mate,

ive had 2 vl's and there both great on fuel economy. i use one for a work car now which also has gas so even better. only once you start putting your foot down when not needed you will chew up a fair bit like any car really. but drive like a grandma and it will get you far. im speaking from VL rb30e engines so my guess is the r31 rb30e wouldnt be too far off.

Not very comforting words joeyjoejoejuniorshabadoo, I was hoping to pay for my insurance and save up for an R32 with the apprenticeship. Doesn't look like that'll be happening; but doesn't it depend on the trade you pick and the company you work for?

And thanks 122 for the comment, I am a bit of a lead foot; my parents are always telling my off when I drive. So I won't be driving like a grandma. Putting gas into an R31 might not be a great idea either; I heard mainly Ford and Holdens can handle petrol and gas well at the same time. Don't know how a Nissan would go.

R31's are fine on Gas

Most economical of all Skylines IMO. RB30e driven nicely will rattle off 500km's to a tank no problem

Obviously you'd be better off with a 4 banger and probably get an extra 100km's for the efforts

R31's are fine on Gas

Most economical of all Skylines IMO. RB30e driven nicely will rattle off 500km's to a tank no problem

Obviously you'd be better off with a 4 banger and probably get an extra 100km's for the efforts

I've always had a few issues with my RB30DE, highway I can get ~11-12 litres/100km. Start pushing it and you won't get good economy...(like most other cars), I used to get 15l/100km with traffic but I think my RB30DET is below average, its a very old engine.

I've always had a few issues with my RB30DE, highway I can get ~11-12 litres/100km. Start pushing it and you won't get good economy...(like most other cars), I used to get 15l/100km with traffic but I think my RB30DET is below average, its a very old engine.

DE?

Had it tuned?

If not, thats why.

have you thought about a pintara..i think theyre a 4 banga and they look similar to the 31

my 2c

Pintara R31s are 4 cylinders "2.0 L CA20E 78 kW (105 hp)", they don't really have the skyline look but I guess I'll save alot of petrol because its almost two times weaker than the RB30E. The Pintara TRX look alright though.

Edited by driftdreamer

Basically - bolt on 30ET setup, S13 coilover conversion, minispool/locked diff and you'll be set.

Alot of the blokes I know drift with stockers 30E, good springs, swaybar upgrade, strut brace and a mini-spool.

As to the original question, Economy is quite good considering their age and size... I can get between 8.3 and 10 litres per 100k's depending on how I drive. It comes down to a) how you drive the car, b) how you maintain the car and c) the overall condition of the car. R31 Pintaras are not that economical, and you'll get shitted with the lack of power in the CA20

31 forums will have the info, you've just gotta look for it :)

I've been searching around on the net, and it's really hard to find any R31 series 3 for under 3 grand. I really like the lights on the series 3, way better looking than the series 1+2. Fat chance on finding a GTS2 for sale, with only 200 made; i doubt someone would sell something that valuable.

I've been searching around on the net, and it's really hard to find any R31 series 3 for under 3 grand. I really like the lights on the series 3, way better looking than the series 1+2. Fat chance on finding a GTS2 for sale, with only 200 made; i doubt someone would sell something that valuable.

Vic is probably the easiest place to get an alright r31 for under 3k especially if you are not too fussed about high kms on the clock which you shouldn't be as the rb30e lasts a very long time so long as its not boosted. Have heard reports of cars doing over 500,000 kms!! :( Try and find one with 200,000-300,000 kms and you will be laughing. Also try and find one that is as stock as possible as it will most likely serve you for longer and more reliably than one that has been driven by someone who thinks their in a sportscar and they are a race car driver.

Petrol consumption from an rb30e is pretty good so long as you dont put your foot flat to the floor every time you accelerate, however the occasional opening of the throttle will put enough of a smile on your face to keep you interested in the car for quite a while (even in stock form) especially as this is your first car and are not downgrading from an r32/r33 or other faster car.

Dont buy a pintara you will feel like to get anywhere you need to put your foot flat to the floor and hyundais will even be a threat, also you will lose interest in the car pretty damn quick thus meaning you open the throttle more often and burn more petrol.

The best thing about an rb30e is that no matter what you are doing whether going up a steep hill or caught in low revs their is suffecient power throughout the rev range meaning you dont have to floor it to get up a little hill this is completely opposite from the pintara which will start reversing if you go up too steep a hill,

rant out

*edit:

GTS1/2's will be more than 3k and shouldn't be bought as a first car as you will probably get the stupid idea of upgrading them too much and raping them of their true spirit (which is not a true full blown sportscar more like a unique part of australian automotive history)

Edited by MidnightCruiser

Oh if you want a manual buy a gx(not a gxe they are a tad heavier) or a silhouette (put a silhouette diff in the gx, from an auto would be better but doesn't really matter) gx=lightest aussie r31, silhouette= comes with the diff you want no matter what one you end up buying plus comes stock with extractors, + best looking stock rims

If you drive an auto definately get a Ti as these are the only ones with stock power windows and central locking and probably has the best looking front end, very nice seats and has extra sound deadening however these are the heaviest of the aus r31's

I was aiming for a silhoutte, as they are the sport or race versions of the R31. GX is lightest, I didn't know that, thanks again.

P.S.

Manual would probably be the only transmission I drive :cheers: