SAU Community

Bottom End Berring

HEY GUYS...

I OWN A R32 GTR AND ITS THE SECOND TIME IV'E SPAN A BERRING, THE FIRST TIMR I GOT THE WHOLE ENGINE RE-BUILT SPEND $8000 ON IT INCLUDING FORGIES. THE ENGINE ONLY HAD 5000KM SINCE RE-BUILT AND IT WENT AGAIN AT HIGH RPM.

DOES ANYONE ELSE HAVE THE SAME ISSUE OR IS IT JUST MY BAD LUCK????

my guess would be oil control (or lack of it)

high-rpm you say? did you do the restrictor mod?- i'd be 99% sure you've killed your bearings due to oil surge; either through too much oil up in the head, or cornering too hard on a standard sump.

tell us more about the last build-up (capslock off, please...)

my guess would be oil control (or lack of it)

high-rpm you say? did you do the restrictor mod?- i'd be 99% sure you've killed your bearings due to oil surge; either through too much oil up in the head, or cornering too hard on a standard sump.

tell us more about the last build-up (capslock off, please...)

im not aware of the restrictor mod, ill need to check with the engine builder. im suspecting it also could be the oil pump or something wasnt done right during the rebuild.

last build up was done 6 months ago, forged pistons, rods, head work, R34 gtr turbos, apexi power FC and the rest, ive only travelled 5000kms since rebuild and tune at 237kw aw @11psi..

Im so upset that after spending 8k on rebuild it didnt last more than 6 months, and im back to square one now.

What other damage should i be expecting and how much would set me back if the engine builder dosnt cover it under warranty?

In addition to the oil gallery restrictor, did you also upgrade the oil pump to at least an N1? Also, did you upgrade your sump by either installing a baffle or have it modified with extension and trap door? If you haven't, then there is the problem.

In addition to the oil gallery restrictor, did you also upgrade the oil pump to at least an N1? Also, did you upgrade your sump by either installing a baffle or have it modified with extension and trap door? If you haven't, then there is the problem.

as far as i know the oil pump was changed to a new one and not upgraded, there is no restrictor installed and for upgrading the sump i though thats was only for track racing which i dont use my car for that

if you had your oil on the gigh mark on the dipstick.. and booted it in first gear. it will surge. do that a few hundred times and the bearings will scuff up.

a minimum of 1.25L extra is needed to combat this with a standard sump. (this is for a stock gtr running 15lbs.)

to fix this propperly you will need:

new crank

new rod(s)

new oil pump.

$5 tomie oil restrictor

all at a minimum. ps. your turbos will have to be removed and propperly cleaned out. ie: oil restrictor/bearing locator pulled out and then the whole lot flushed out.

its a shit, but not every mechanical shop will tell you how bad they really do surge. or.. you could of picked up some shit thru an oil cooler or the old block having not been propperly cleaned.

an easy way to see if its oil suply or debris is looking at the bearings. if only a few are rooted around the no 3 and 4 on the bigends and mains its debris

if the bigends are only worn its the oil suply problem. 1 or 6 will of spun. and they will get better as you head towards the middle of the engine. the mains will look ok.

Where did u blow it up , cos the oil surge should only happan if u keep the revs at over 6000 for about 10mins (all the oil goes to the head cant get out quick enough) and dont think u could do that on the street