SAU Community

Getting A Blue Slip In Nsw - Help

beemer395

Hey guys i recently swapped my subaru forester for a 99 R34 GTT with a guy in queensland. I am know trying to go thru the process of having it rego'd ( currently has queensland plates) i have changed the exhaust from cannon to stock twin tips, have sourced a standard airbox just has to be fitted but am having some trouble with the wheels.

My mechanic is insiting they have to be engineered ( my wheels) as they are the 17inch wheels from the coupe R34 and not the sixteen inch wheels that come on the sedans...can someone clarify for me if these wheels are legal? as i belived there was some room in regard to tyre fitments and sizes and still stay legal?

I have also been told that since the car is less than ten years old i will have to go to an RTA inspection site!! can someone confirm what the cost involved with this inspection? and weather i would pass with these wheels? This has been such a pain in the ass this blue slip im regretting buying the skyline :bunny:

I have attached a photo of the rims i have on my car (not my car but you get the idea).....if these arent legal does anybody have any legal ones i could borrow for blue slip!!! im in castle hill but will travel almost anywhere in sydney if anybody has any stockies with tread that will pass!!

post-33553-1211521028_thumb.jpg

Edited by beemer395

pics no worky.

My solution would be a new mechanic.

Also, state where abouts your located,more chance of someone local to you helping you out.

Edited by FATAZZ

gday mate, i got my 33 from ACT and had the car blue sliped with 17x9's on it and a 3" turbo back zorst (with a 3 chamber muffler in place of the 5" cannon of course)and it was fine, the only thing to guy said was "you might wanna get your rear tires replaced soon",

i agree with the above find a new mechanic.

also with the 10 year old thingy, the RTA told me its 8 years and its random, when you register the car, the computer will randomly select you or not (i was told this because the Rtard who complide my line did it in 2002 so acording to the RTA i have a 2002 R33)

The wheels are legal as they are off the sister car i.e gtt and come as factory standard, same wheel base so same wheels no need to engineer. Yes if you had gtr wheels

The more you slide there way the more they are inclined to pass it

Blue slip is just road worthy crap..

top post there. makes no sense and even if it were correct adds nothing to the thread. :( I don't know why are you so keen on posting unhelpful negative posts all the time lately? :confused:

beemer395, you should not have any problem with wheels that are 1 inch in diameter larger than standard. I am not sure why the mechanic is giving you grief over that. It is perfectly legal to have wheels upgraded that are just a 1 inch increase. It's an owner certifiable modification.

The RTA inspection is randomly selected and they will tell you if you have to do it or not when you go into the RTA to get your rego. If you do get selected you wont be able to complete your rego on that day and will have to book the inspection at the RTA centre. from memory it costs about $30 and don't stress about the wheels etc for that inspection as it's primarily an identity check to ensure the car is not a rebirth, or stolen etc. I have presented my cars there previously with minor mods like exhaust, larger wheels, pod filter etc and had no problems ever. It takes about 30 mins.

If you do get selected and the appointment is not for a while you can ask for an interim label so they will give you plates and a temporary 30 day rego label so you can legally drive around until the inspection.

top post there. makes no sense and even if it were correct adds nothing to the thread. :D I don't know why are you so keen on posting unhelpful negative posts all the time lately? :confused:

beemer395, you should not have any problem with wheels that are 1 inch in diameter larger than standard. I am not sure why the mechanic is giving you grief over that. It is perfectly legal to have wheels upgraded that are just a 1 inch increase. It's an owner certifiable modification.

The RTA inspection is randomly selected and they will tell you if you have to do it or not when you go into the RTA to get your rego. If you do get selected you wont be able to complete your rego on that day and will have to book the inspection at the RTA centre. from memory it costs about $30 and don't stress about the wheels etc for that inspection as it's primarily an identity check to ensure the car is not a rebirth, or stolen etc. I have presented my cars there previously with minor mods like exhaust, larger wheels, pod filter etc and had no problems ever. It takes about 30 mins.

If you do get selected and the appointment is not for a while you can ask for an interim label so they will give you plates and a temporary 30 day rego label so you can legally drive around until the inspection.

Thanks beer baron...its just been a total pain in the ass as i dnt have original import papers (awaiting from department) and as my mechanic hasnt sighted the import papers he wont sign off on it...total BS in my opinion and as it was a friday and most places being open half days saturday's left me in a total jam. I hope to get it all sorted this week thought.

• 1 year later...

Where you at, there is a place on Heathcoate Rd, Moorebank that does them, alot of garages do, just cruise you local shops would be the easiest I recon, They advertise it on there ads and signage, look for imports or Hi Po cars in them.

As long as you do it right and tick all the saftey boxes you shouldnt have problems, plumb back your BOV, tune it for emmisions, have a good Cat and make sure it isnt to loud.

• 6 months later...
I know someone man, based on Northern Beaches. Let me know if you run out of options.

sorry to dig up an old dug up thread.

I'm on the beaches and I'm looking for a "lenient" guy to do a blue slip on my 31.

there's nothing too wrong with it just tasteful mods i.e lowered a bit, 1" larger rims stuff like that. the main problem i have is my ignition system is a button ignition and not a key one. will this pass or will i have to put a new barrell on?

• 12 years later...

So im in similar situation so im abt to buy a really nice Holden astra 2008 hatchback now the guy lost his licence so he cancelled his rego I rang the rta n they said I have to get a blue slip now the cars in perfect condition only problem is its got 19inch rims will this be able to pass can someone point me to a mechanic that will pass this car it's completely road worthy 

Screenshot_20221021-151315_Gumtree.jpg