SAU Community

Wow...the Bathust Godzilla

bloody sweet looking rise i would love to have one of those r32 nothing could catch them when they went around bathurst. only the car that could really keep up was dick jonson in his ford cirrea

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
bloody sweet looking rise i would love to have one of those r32 nothing could catch them when they went around bathurst. only the car that could really keep up was dick jonson in his ford cirrea

Not quite:Q. Do you remember that point when 12 laps from the finish and the vicious downpour took a toll on just about everybody including Jim on slicks?

Q. Who was catching up on Dick in his Sierra?

Q. Do you remember who came 3rd?

A. Crompton & Oloffson in another R32 GTR on the same lap...

Guest trikdoutvl

sorry but diddnt the gtr only win 1 bathurst?? how many did they enter? cause 90 was when the won? n 92 was when v8 supercars came in... i was a baby in this period so i got no idea lol

sorry but diddnt the gtr only win 1 bathurst?? how many did they enter? cause 90 was when the won? n 92 was when v8 supercars came in... i was a baby in this period so i got no idea lol

The GTRs won 2 Bathurst races in 1991 & 1992

As I recall, they won '91 on a dry track and came 1st and 2nd led by Jim Richards & Mark Skaife

Then CAMS changed the rules to cut out turbo cars by end of 1992 to set up the class 'V8 Super'

So the final year that Sierras and GTRs were allowed to race was 1992 and unbelievably, the GTR was served with a 100Kg weight penalty - but not the Sierras. Still, on a dry/wet/dry/wet/dry/wet track, Richards & Skaife still came 1st & Johnson came 2nd & another GTR driven by Oloffson & Crompton came 3rd

It was the year that Denny Hulme's BMW came off the track and he tragically died in hospital

It was a year when the race was cut short because of such bad weather that several cars came off the track at the same time. The downpour was so horrendous that anyone still out there on slicks was sliding all over the place including Jim Richards who ran into a wall and proceeded to try and negotiate down onto Conrod Straight but too many other cars had also run off there as well.

Skaife and Richards were at least 1 lap ahead of Johnson and Oloffson, so they were declared winners.

Ford enthusiasts and rednecks were quite incensed at the decision that they took it out on Richards and Skaife at the presentation. What they don't realise is that Crompton and Oloffson were making up seconds on Johnson with 12 laps to go - and once the track got wet again, it became Skyline territory!

So it was quite feasible that after safety car conditions had ceased, Oloffson's GTR could still have overtaken Johnson.

End result in '92: GTR 1st, Ford Sierra 2nd, GTR 3rd !!

Ask JB Hi Fi or EZYDVD for the DVD of the Highlights of Bathurst 1991-92 for 4Hrs of Channel 7 stuff.

Rest assured, no Ford or Holden guy will buy it. It came out in the past 2 years I believe.

Cheers,

Terry

The GTRs won 2 Bathurst races in 1991 & 1992

As I recall, they won '91 on a dry track and came 1st and 2nd led by Jim Richards & Mark Skaife

Then CAMS changed the rules to cut out turbo cars by end of 1992 to set up the class 'V8 Super'

So the final year that Sierras and GTRs were allowed to race was 1992 and unbelievably, the GTR was served with a 100Kg weight penalty - but not the Sierras. Still, on a dry/wet/dry/wet/dry/wet track, Richards & Skaife still came 1st & Johnson came 2nd & another GTR driven by Oloffson & Crompton came 3rd

It was the year that Denny Hulme's BMW came off the track and he tragically died in hospital

It was a year when the race was cut short because of such bad weather that several cars came off the track at the same time. The downpour was so horrendous that anyone still out there on slicks was sliding all over the place including Jim Richards who ran into a wall and proceeded to try and negotiate down onto Conrod Straight but too many other cars had also run off there as well.

Skaife and Richards were at least 1 lap ahead of Johnson and Oloffson, so they were declared winners.

Ford enthusiasts and rednecks were quite incensed at the decision that they took it out on Richards and Skaife at the presentation. What they don't realise is that Crompton and Oloffson were making up seconds on Johnson with 12 laps to go - and once the track got wet again, it became Skyline territory!

So it was quite feasible that after safety car conditions had ceased, Oloffson's GTR could still have overtaken Johnson.

End result in '92: GTR 1st, Ford Sierra 2nd, GTR 3rd !!

Ask JB Hi Fi or EZYDVD for the DVD of the Highlights of Bathurst 1991-92 for 4Hrs of Channel 7 stuff.

Rest assured, no Ford or Holden guy will buy it. It came out in the past 2 years I believe.

Cheers,

Terry

A few points, mostly pedantic.

1. Richards hit the wall twice. What you see on the television was the result of him trying to return to the pits with three slick shod wheels on his car.

2. The race was not stopped because of the rain it was stopped because of the pile up at Forrest elbow. From memory the leading Corolla in the tiddlers class also ended up in the wall.

3. It is hard to be exact about how far ahead the Skaife/Richards GT-R was simply because the Johnson/Bowe Sierra had called in for wet tyres - something Fred Gibson failed to get right. The Sierra was on the lead lap when the race was red flagged. My dodgy memory is trying to tell me Crompton & Oloffson were not on the lead lap, but I am not 100% sure.

4. There was nothing unbelievable about the Nissan getting handed a 100kg penalty. Almost all the eligible cars got some sort of restriction for 1992.

5. Denny Hulme died of a heart attack. This caused him to go off the track. The off did not cause his death. The loss of a F1 world champion, particularly one as loved as Denny was simple awful.

6. The only video I have found runs to 2 hours. There is a bloke selling full length copies of the race, somewhere.

7. CAMS has to replace the Group A format with something. Either the 5 litre V8's or the 2 litre Super tourer class. Whatever you may think of the V8's given the demise of 2 litre touring cars in Britain as elsewhere it is churlish to criticise CAMS for that decision.

Guest trikdoutvl

diddnt the v12 jags win around the same time as the r32?s... google time i think LOL,,, id buy that dvd i dont care if a skyline beat a holden 20 years ago lol.

Thanks for that, sounds good. Im actually getting the complete races off a guy :D

BTW: If they raced today with a race prepped R35 GTR the results would still be the same :blush: Holden and Ford have nothing on superior japanese engineering/technology. Perhaps a little biased but my opinion none the less..

Edited by Godzilla32

diddnt the v12 jags win around the same time as the r32?s... google time i think LOL,,, id buy that dvd i dont care if a skyline beat a holden 20 years ago lol.

Tom Walkinshaw bankrolled a pair of XJS V12s in the late 80s - but I forget what year. Yes they did really well (relatively speaking).

The DVD is a whole 4 HRS (not 2).

It's called "Highlights of Bathurst 1000 - 1991 & 1992"

It's distributed by 'Chevron' under license from 7 Network Limited and yes, it came out in 2006

2 hours are devoted to each race - and you might be pleased to know that Jim Richards' famous podium speech in 1992 was NOT edited out.

The reasons as to why the race was terminated are also included - and why Richards and Skaife were awarded 1st position.

The pictures of the Godzilla R32s at the beginning of this thread were the livery of 1992

Enjoy the DVD - And remember...

Never ever record over your wedding video

Soyonara

Tom Walkinshaw bankrolled a pair of XJS V12s in the late 80s - but I forget what year. Yes they did really well (relatively speaking).

The DVD is a whole 4 HRS (not 2).

It's called "Highlights of Bathurst 1000 - 1991 & 1992"

It's distributed by 'Chevron' under license from 7 Network Limited and yes, it came out in 2006

2 hours are devoted to each race - and you might be pleased to know that Jim Richards' famous podium speech in 1992 was NOT edited out.

The reasons as to why the race was terminated are also included - and why Richards and Skaife were awarded 1st position.

The pictures of the Godzilla R32s at the beginning of this thread were the livery of 1992

Enjoy the DVD - And remember...

Never ever record over your wedding video

Soyonara

Jaguar Rover Australia (as it was then) bankrolled the three Jaguars TWR took to Bathurst in 1985. They finished first and third, with one DNF. John Goss & Armin Hahne won the race. Win Percy & Tom Walkinshaw finished third. Second was the Bob Jane liveried BMW 635Csi (in orange) for Johnny Cecotto & Roberto Ravaglia.

The old tapes for 1991 & 1992 from Chevron were each of two hours duration - it sounds like they put the two of them together & ended up with a four hour dvd.

Thanks for that, sounds good. Im actually getting the complete races off a guy :D

BTW: If they raced today with a race prepped R35 GTR the results would still be the same :) Holden and Ford have nothing on superior japanese engineering/technology. Perhaps a little biased but my opinion none the less..

If you want a surprise check the GT-R's qualifying times & compare them to the V8's.

Much of the engineering and technology in the Gibson GT-R's was local. The Gibson Motorsport cars were much, much better than their Japanese Group A coumterparts. The same people who once worked for Freddo on the Gt-R's went on to work on their V8's....

Guest trikdoutvl

this is good 1

how are the lap times or the gtrs compaired to todays v8s im gonna guess the gtr aint gonna be far off the pace, id be surprised if they were faster tho??

1 more sorry lol,,, the cars back then were production car based correct?? so the gtrs would be 206kw??? or were they bombed up

this is good 1

how are the lap times or the gtrs compaired to todays v8s im gonna guess the gtr aint gonna be far off the pace, id be surprised if they were faster tho??

1 more sorry lol,,, the cars back then were production car based correct?? so the gtrs would be 206kw??? or were they bombed up

Off the pace. :) Way off the pace.

In 1991 the car qualified on pole.

Pole Position - #1 Mark Skaife - 2:12.63

Fastest race lap - #2 Mark Skaife - 2:14.50 (new lap record)

In 1992 the car qualified 3rd in a 2:14.546 (Glenn Setons EB Falcon 2.14.971).

Pole Position - #17 Dick Johnson - 2:12.898

Fastest race lap - #1 Mark Skaife - 2:16.47

Last years pole time was a 2.07.0908. So a lazy five seconds. Enough to make Godzilla slower than every V8 on last years grid.

Last years fastest lap - #888 Jamie Whincup - 2:08.4651 (new lap record)

Yes the cars were production based (the group A formula), but any resemblance the car had to a road car was fairly incidental. It had far more than 206kW.

Guest trikdoutvl

thats actually pretty good ay 5 seconds i think the fastest lap done by a v8 was greg murphys commie he did a 2:06 a few years ago but still for a car 20 years old thats good i think especially when u think bathurst is a good track for v8s wit straights...... i rekon the gtr would give a supercar a good run for its money around barbagello raceway....

dont suppose u have times to compaire for the gtr around barbas...

i thought the old touring cars had to be road going cars hence why we had the vl walkingshaw... they built them so they could enter bathurst... so the gtrs u think properly had 5-600hp n coilovers n all that

Guest trikdoutvl

sorry but in regards to a tuff looking car the 32 gtr is not in the same league as the vl walkinshaw now that is a tuff looking muscle car that sends shivers down ur spine,,,,, the gtrs still look mad though they look sleek n fast but i dont think tuff looking is a word to describe them.. tuff is reseverd for v8 muscle cars IMO

Interesting to see the comparison between the GTR's of bathurst and the modern day track times. I wonder what the main difference are? Braking? Tyres compounds?

In my opinion a vl walkinshaw looks like a tank merged with a car. A bodykit that looks like its had one too many big mac's.

I think your on the wrong forum to be saying that about V8 muscle cars. Yes they are tough looking, but you can't over look the toughness of a GTR; in my eyes anyway.

Edited by Godzilla32

lol you cant call that a godzilla! its a dinosaur! haha but yes, it is an ugly car the r32, but it sure did rape them falcons and commies back in the day. i think thats why i have a skyline too now. its like rebellion against the aussies with their fords n holdens, i love my r33 =)

that GT-R looks awesome, and I've no idea how you can call it a dinosaur, maybe the original VL Group A cars (the carby fed HDT ones with the funny bonnet scoop), but not the Godzilla! Watching the old bathurst footage was what made me realise that pushrod V8s were not the only way of making a sports car! Nice pics of the F50 as well.

Driving a R33 around here is hardly a rebellion against 'aussies', meh, but if you prefer the styling of the R33 thats your thing lol, i find the R32 to have a much more sporty look to it personally.

Personally I'd love to see a resurgence of Group A racing, imagine the V35 against HSV/FPV :D