im in the middle of changing the water pump in my r33 s2

how do i go about getting the harmonic balancer off?>

any help please

cheers

\\

Drifty

withe a pulley removing tool... get one from supercheap

Undo the nut in the middle of the balancer i think it's a 27mm not 100%

then use the tool to pull the pulley off the crank...

no a balancer puller is the only safe way, and it needs to be the crow foot style where you pass bolts through it into the small threaded holes in the balancer. A 3 or 2 arm puller will just break the rim of the balancer and leave it out of balance. any other way of levering it off (like pry bar behind it etc) is almost certain to jam it in place so hard you will never remove it.

with the balancer puller, make sure the bolts are screwed in all the way because they are pretty small for such a tight balancer - and if they pull the thread out of the balancer instead of pulling the balancer off you are also stuffed

U could make a puller, the bolts into the balancer are 6 X 1 mm, get a good piece of flat plate steel at least 18mm thick and drill the holes to suit the balancer. If you get a fine threaded bolt and nut and drill a hole in the centre u can use this to wind the balancer off. (put the nut on the inside and u wont need to weld it on) You do realise to change the water pump u will need to remove the timing belt?

U could make a puller, the bolts into the balancer are 6 X 1 mm, get a good piece of flat plate steel at least 18mm thick and drill the holes to suit the balancer. If you get a fine threaded bolt and nut and drill a hole in the centre u can use this to wind the balancer off. (put the nut on the inside and u wont need to weld it on) You do realise to change the water pump u will need to remove the timing belt?

yes i do realise i need to remove the timing belt

hence why i ned to undo the harmonic balancer

cheers

Drifty

You guys are gunna hate me for saying this especially since im a mechanic but i have gotten away with using a 2 jaw puller twice LOL. It came off easily on mine though. If there was any hesistation i dare say it would have chipped the edge off.

ok guys so if i pry it off with a bar and i do manage to chip it therefore obviously then its f**ked aye

then how much am i lookin at to get another harmonic?

any1 local with the tools and no how?

cheers guys

no mate I've given you the wrong impression. a proper balancer puller is the only way to get your off.

In my case the balancer had been off about 1 month before, and it was a newly machined crank. everything with new, clean and well oiled. Any balancer that has been in an engine bay for months or years will not come off that easily.

The problem is not the damage/chips on the balancer, the problem is it starts to come off unevely and jams into place impossibly tightly. This is very common with the timing belt gear because you cant get a proper puller into it, most people end up cutting them off with a angle grinder or cold chisel. not pretty. In the base of the balancer I am 99% sure you won't even get it to move.

ohwell ill do wa i can an see how i go

ill let u guys no

but atm im tryna get my hands on a pulley remover tool but bit hard without a licence to get around

will update all progress

Cheers

Drifty