SAU Community

Dry Sump System - Blocking Internal Head Oil Returns.

Howdy peoples.

Im curious to know if anyone has done or thought about doing this in their race car setup with a dry sump system.

Im in the process of designing a good crank scraper for our rb30 to prevent oil entrapment around the crank, whilst modifying my pan/design. I was staring at the block having a ciggy before and i thought since we have a scavenge from the back of the head, why not block off the std internal returns and leave it all upto the the rear -12 return. It would eliminate some part of the oil floating around the inside of the block from getting caught up in the cranks whirlwind and draining the crank of free usable horsepower. Having solid lifters in the head and no vct, there is no need for the huge amounts of oil to be in the head, so having minimal feed as per SK's restriction methods, I guess im curious to know if the one scavenge would be sufficient?

When you think about it, there are no breathers up there anymore, its totally sealed off except that rear return & the std returns. The motor is running in a mild vacuum as we run a four stage pump with three scavenges and I believe we were seeing around 3-4 inches of mercury (last time we checked on the dyno) so not only does it get forced towards the back because of forward moving G forces, but also the vacuum created from the design nature of the oiling system.

Looking forward to some ideas and or experience people have had with this possible setup.

Ok...now hit me!

Yeh first off i considered extending them all down to the sump....and then i went one step further and thought why not just stop it at the source?

I know thats a very old school trick of bypassing the crank. But it looks a little painful to run hoses out of the drain holes and to the sump, haha id rather tap and grubscrew the returns from the head, so much easier and less shit involved!

I appreciate the idea though Adriano :)

Im hoping Gary will throw in his two cents?

Edited by r33_racer

very interested as i have just about to recieve my rb26 back ,yet to be assembled

will let you know what remac did in this situation (as i am also running a dry sump / 4 stage pump)

they did all the flow calculations too