SAU Community

Piston Oil Squirters---->aftermarket

r33_racer

haha yeh we did simon....but it appears we are not anymore haha :miner:

we will have to catch up so i can tell you what the latest is and vice versa. Ive been slack on here and busy with work and personal crap...plus all the new race car developments!

I re looked at the mahle pistons before and yeh like you said simon they do have the coating.

A quick summary;

We have fitted block mounted oil squirters to RB30's in the past, but it is very time consuming and hence costly. Plus not all RB30 blocks are suitable, the oil gallery castings are not consistent and we rejected around 2 out of every 3 blocks. You don't find out until you start drilling, so unsuitable blocks are just scrap.

The current process is to ceramic coat the pistons crowns and oil retention coat the skirts. Then we machine oil squirters into the conrods in the same way as Honda does on its S2000 engines and others. This method doesn't compromise the strength of the conrod like the older drilling of holes used to. Over 30 RB30's have been done this way and not one of them has had a problem with piston crown overheating, even at over 850 bhp. It's a much quicker and cheaper process and you are not throwing out otherwise perfectly good blocks all the time.

Cheers

Gary

Gary, this oil retention coating of the skirts... is that the same thing as the teflon coating that the other guys were talking about?

Nope, the teflon coating itself provides the slip. Oil retention coating does exactly what it says, holds a film of oil which itself does the slip. The teflon eventually wears off, whereas the oil retention coating lasts a lot longer.

Cheers

Gary

haha yeh we did simon....but it appears we are not anymore haha :)

we will have to catch up so i can tell you what the latest is and vice versa. Ive been slack on here and busy with work and personal crap...plus all the new race car developments!

I re looked at the mahle pistons before and yeh like you said simon they do have the coating.

Absolutely, the purple thing is a little bit faster now than when you last saw it, still haven't fitted Sydneykids track kit yet, but it's not far away- think i've got the most out of the existing set-up. I'm working on aero stuff now.