SAU Community

S13 Struts into R30 Skyline

Hi i am currently investigating, putting these struts onto my car.

As far as i know the tops are the same stud pattern PCD (whatever). they will fit i know that, know problems though are (possibly not in my case, but in known cases. IE on 910 bluebirds)

Springs hit inside of strut tower and don't allow for full lock to lock turning. therefore requiring smaller ID coilovers (not a problem) second is that they can possibly adversly give heaps of negative camber (fixed with adjustable strut tops).

any other known problems.

the main reason i want these are they open my options in suspension parts. and main concern the ability to fit R32 4 spot calipers.

if anyone has any comments on this conversion i would be interested

also if anyone has an old set of s13 struts complete inc hubs that are in shyte condition i would be interested in the if they are going cheap

• 4 weeks later...

Not really what you asked about, but i was also looking into suspension options for my R30.

In adelaide at the Zoom 4,6&Rotatry Nationals i talked to a guy from either Adelaide Jap or JMS, cant remember.

He told me that there are two diferent sizes of struts for the Japanese R31 Skyline (Two diferent bolt spacing on the lower mounting point depending on year model), one of these is the same as R30, making it a bolt on fit.

He had a full strut kit coming in the next week and said i could have them for $250.

unfortunatly i didnt get back in touch with him, because i didnt ask what shop he was from and it was the day after i brought my car, so i was short on cash.

Anyway ive talked to a few importers since and they said that parts like that for R30-R31s in Japan are almost imposible to find nowdays.

Just another option anyway.

Cheers, Mick.

• 3 weeks later...

i've been e-mailing jms in relation this and they have these stud pattern spacers that will change the pattern to 5 stud as well. they say that most of them use these on there cars?? this would mean that the r30 strut could be used as they are a 25mm spacer. think of the wheel possibiltys, the only downfall other than them being not so legal is the cost $695 a set!!!

• 2 months later...

Late reply, but I'm new so it's forgiven :)

I have done this conversion in my TRX Bluebird (altho it's no Skyline) the prinicple is the same.. I just used the s13 strut and wheel hub.. it fitted on my lower control arm ball joint perfectly.

Here's a link if you're interested, which explains it step by step:

http://www.910bluebird.com/tech/s13/index.html

The only thing different I can think of is that you won't need to change the strut tops.. as it's only bloody Bluebirds that have the different PCD :D

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Brian.

• 2 weeks later...