SAU Community

The Tig And Me

sic200

i've been reading and watching alot of the other threads on here... thought i'd show of some of my own handy work if you'd call it that.. see if i can upload the pics here. the t28 dump is for a nissan micra :) and the 3" job is for a 3040 on a rb25.. i put flex's in all my dump pipe/exhaust work, has worked for me so far, never had a manifold crack in the last 4years over many many cars.

post-5098-1213946695_thumb.jpg

post-5098-1213946747_thumb.jpg

post-5098-1213946833_thumb.jpg

post-5098-1213946871_thumb.jpg

nice work :) its a pitty i dont have pics of my of my work to show.. i really should by a digital camera..

what welder do you use?

also were do you get your stainless flanges.. the place up here that i get my flanges cut at want an arm and a leg to do stainless flanges and they do a fairly shitty job anyway

nice work :( its a pitty i dont have pics of my of my work to show.. i really should by a digital camera..

what welder do you use?

also were do you get your stainless flanges.. the place up here that i get my flanges cut at want an arm and a leg to do stainless flanges and they do a fairly shitty job anyway

what welder? a tig :P flanges = local exhaust shop.. same place i get my bends.. took me ages to find a decent supplier with really nice quality bends, all the pipes in the photo's haven't seen a buff yet, the photo's are straight of the welder... all hand smoothed inside aswell, doubt it makes any hp difference.. but atleast it looks sex. :)

what welder? a tig :P flanges = local exhaust shop.. same place i get my bends.. took me ages to find a decent supplier with really nice quality bends, all the pipes in the photo's haven't seen a buff yet, the photo's are straight of the welder... all hand smoothed inside aswell, doubt it makes any hp difference.. but atleast it looks sex. :(

LOL i know its a tig i was more refering to what brand and model tig you use.. as for suppliers of good quaility bends i was lucky enough to have worked in a sheetmetal place for a while and got a very very good contact for stainless pipe and mandrel bends

out of curiousity what do you pay per 3inch 90 mandrel in 304?

i dont bother buffing any of the exhausts i do as they eventually change colour anyway

wish i had an exhaust shop like yours to get flanges from.. ive gone straight to the suppliers that the exhaust shops use and they still want an arm and leg for stainless flanges and there not cut all that cleanly

just a cheapie newasia tig.. wsm200. used those at work heaps, so i thought id get myself one. :/ does the trick for what i'm doing.. 3" 90's are about $40, polished/ and what i guess you'd call line honed inside.. pretty hectic finish :P stainless flanges are about $30, 12mm thick, pretty nice quality.. wouldn't call it show quality, but its pretty good :) what you paying for the gear wholesale?

just a cheapie newasia tig.. wsm200. used those at work heaps, so i thought id get myself one. :D does the trick for what i'm doing.. 3" 90's are about $40, polished/ and what i guess you'd call line honed inside.. pretty hectic finish :D stainless flanges are about $30, 12mm thick, pretty nice quality.. wouldn't call it show quality, but its pretty good :) what you paying for the gear wholesale?

i use to pay $22-25 a bend for 3inch however price of nickel has gone up a little bit since than so prolly 25-28 for 3inch but yer thats highly polished finish.. and smooth as babys but in side can cut the bend in half so its a 45 and it will mate up perfectly to straight pipe..

have gotten stainless bends from china before for slightly cheaper but the material quaility was f**king shithouse.. the mandrel bends were more like press bends.. however i'd say they were done with a f**ked mandrel bending machine.. was like a football rolled sideways around a corner ;) so now its

as for the flanges.. if they have the cad drawing for it already its cheaper but i cant remember the price last one i got done was a custom one for a wrx split pulse dump pipe i think it was around 40-50

3inch 2 bolt flanges were around $7 each from memory however that wasnt in stainless

• 4 weeks later...
Where is the best place to get these bits from (bends, flanges). I am in Brisbane if that makes any difference.

Thanks

Tubesales out at jacobs well do all stainless tubing, bends, plate, discs, reducers etc if you're in trade you should get a decent price. Bit of a drive though if you're near town. If you find somewhere closer let me know.

• 5 months later...

Just saw this thread, and since i'm keen on a tig as i do abit of pipe work, i looked up the tig this guys uses..... holly cow, at Token Tools in AUS, there only $558 !

http://www.tokentoolroom.com/wsm200a.html

Not bad for a home workshop. It doesn't look too cheesy from the pics.... might grab one !

Gary

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

yeh.. theirs not really a great deal of "tweaking" to be made lol.. all comes down to your material quality, if its clean, lines up neat etc... most ppl are dislexic and think they can start using a tig and fill 5mm gap. practice makes perfect

try using stainless mig wire as filler.. uber small neat beads.

my 25yr old transtig 150 is pretty awsome. with the foot pedal its sweet as. but doing ally it pulls 39 amp tru the 240 volt socket..... love doing laps to the circut breaker :(

try using stainless mig wire as filler.. uber small neat beads.

my 25yr old transtig 150 is pretty awsome. with the foot pedal its sweet as. but doing ally it pulls 39 amp tru the 240 volt socket..... love doing laps to the circut breaker ;)

i hardly ever use any filler wire at all :P

• 2 weeks later...