SAU Community

Strange Missfiring Problem On Rb20 R32

Hey all.

I've got this strange problem with an R32 RB20. It has just an fmic, full exhaust, boost controller, etc. Still running the stock turbo.

Since it was bought, it's always had problems with missfiring under boost at higher rpm. We would change the plugs (Replace with BKR6Es gapped to 0.8mm) and it would drive well for around 1000-2000km, but then start missfiring again! Pull the plugs out, and they look fine, but put some new ones in and it drives well for another 1000-2000km?

I thought I'd try the BKR7Es on this car, as I use them in pretty much every other RB/SR with no issues whatsoever and something strange happened. The car wouldn't rev over 4000rpm. It was as if it was hitting a rev limiter? A really horrible missfire which would actually cause the revs to stop rising. We took the BKR7Es and gapped them all the way down to 0.6mm even and didn't help one bit! Tried taping up his coilpacks with electrical tape, and no help whatsoever.

After that we put another set of BKR6Es in and the car drove fine? But yet again, when 1500km ticked over, the missfiring came back.

Anyone have any ideas? :blush:

Thanks

Peter

Edited by Equinox

I'm having similar problems with my RB26DETT running a power FC with MAP sensor.

I might look into the ignitor pack also.

Mine only misfires when I hold the throttle steady above 4000rpm.

Very strange indeed.

I'll let you know if I find out what my problem is.

Rgds,

Grippy

Taping your coils isnt really a good fix for some coils anyway I had the same problem with mine so I tryed taping up the coils but didnt seem to work.

I gapped the plugs to .8 still missed in the end I just got some splitfires after that didnt even miss a beat also u dont have to change the gap to .8 i changed them back to 1.1 because my tunner said I wouldn't need them coz u would be creating enough spark with the splitfires.

How much Boost are you running?

have you thought of the fact that you are using BK plugs instead of BCP plugs. BK plugs are 2.5mm short than BCP plugs and might not be making a good connection up in the coilpack. the BCP plugs are the right size for a good contact on RB20 coilpacks

have you thought of the fact that you are using BK plugs instead of BCP plugs. BK plugs are 2.5mm short than BCP plugs and might not be making a good connection up in the coilpack. the BCP plugs are the right size for a good contact on RB20 coilpacks

Exactly what i was going to say QWK32, get some BCPR6ES and try, a crook ignitor "shouldn't" really come and go, usually they work or they dont lol.

Change the plugs, clean the afm, clean the coils, check your earth to the coils and good luck finding the miss as there is nothing more annoying than an miss :)

Could also be the coil loom/plugs on the loom, my plugs were falling apart causing a really horrible intermitent misfire (started only when hot then got gradually worse to where it was there all the time).

Thanks for all the help guys!

QWK32 I never thought of that. I'll give the other plugs a go. And I'll try to source another ignitor pack to swap it with to give it a try.

However, I think you're on the money bubba. I pulled off one of the plugs and had a look inside and the little piece of plastic which holds the pins against the sockets on the plug was broken! I wired the wires straight onto the coil pack for now until I can find a replacement plug. Put some new plugs in and it's working fine, for now. :(

Again, thanks for all the advice. I'll see how it goes!