SAU Community

Blowing Smoke Occasionally + Knocking From Turbo.

hey all,

my car is occasionally blowing smoke when i drive it in the mornings and after work etc. so if its been sitting there for a while... *cold* i guess you could say. im guessing its just running rich and needs a tune? any1 confirm this? would a remap help this as well?

also in the mornings i get a weird knocking/tapping that im guessing is coming from my turbo, not to sure. it knocks when the turbo winds up... but as b4 when she warms up its goes away. this has only just started recently. havent lost any power though. some1 said it might be the lifters???

cheers for the feedback.

The knocking noise I would put money on it being lifter noise in the head which goes away once the hydralic lifters pump up and the oil thins a little.

The smoke can be a worry. If its blue or white then its a sign of either the turbo seals, valve stems or headgasket being on its way out. If its black or brown then its just fuel.

ok so the knockin is nothing to worry about? it wont damage my engine?

the smoke looks a lighter colour in the morning but yeh when it heats up its stops doing it???

white and blue = bad.... white can also be steam from water condensating in your exhaust over night.... When you smell the exhaust does it smell normal, just with white gas coming out, or does it smelly shitty and oilly???

If its going away after driving, as in when it warms up, could also be a worn engine. When it heats up, the gaps close up a bit, maybe letting less oil into the combustion camber.... maybe do a compression test to check it out

probably just condensation in the exhuast... You can buy a compression test kit for around $50 I think.... I got mine ages ago so not sure what there worth these days.... Do a search on how to do one... Quite easy...

Depends on how your engine has been treated in its lifetime as to if its flogged out or not... Realy well maintained and tuned examples could live forever (well not quite, but you get the idea).

If you have heaps of mods, or even just the normal exhuast, boost and cooler, it is worthwhile getting it tuned...

i got it with 135xxx on the clock, and its a skyline so..... im guessing is been pounded.

i've got FMIC, 3" turbo back, spitfire packs, rb25 turbo, greddy profec b 2. was going to get a fuel pump + remap sometime soon.

ill have to do that test then hey.

mate could be just ya turbo bearings when it sits the oil seeps through so when ya start puff out come some smoke untill it all burnt away i got an old turbo on my l26et if it sits for to long it will blow smoke when started untill warm, the knock i would get someone to have a look at any knock isnt good for sure.

sometimes i warm it up sometimes i dont got time lol.

either way ill have to get that knocking looked at. but sometimes it doesnt do it ffs, so i take it a my mechanic "hey look at this knocking for me"..... "er... joel what knocking?"

the exhaust does smell kind of oily, ive got the black mark above my exhaust where the fumes have stuck to my car :P havent washed it in a while lol.

ill try changing the oil this weekend. can any suggest some decent oil???

cheers for the imput