SAU Community

flat shifting?

guys...heh

pardon my ignorance, but i was just wondering, what is the meaning of flat shifting?

im running a exedy brass button clutch and this can take shitloads of power even tho my car's a N/A....

when i tkae off real quick...and rev till almost red line, and change gears, there is always a SNAP kinda sound or response from the gearbox...why is it? its like the stick is snapping out of a gear and into another.

Snap for getting out...but going into the new gear is always just fine.

ne tips to improve take off time? friggin v6 commonwhore could keep up wit me man...and i was pushing her hard....damn...

till i hit the 3rd gear of course...and went thru a flash...i mite not haf a liscence sometime soon but still would love to know these things

=)

doubt the commie drivr would b drivin netime soon too if i lost mine

heh

thanks guys

Flat shiftiing is when you change gears but don`t take your foot off the accelerator.

Bouncy, bouncy bounce off the rev-limiter with a crap gear change, but if your lightning quick and time the change so that the engine doesn`t have a chance to hit the rev-limiter, you CAN actually add 10kw to your peak power...

...well thats what that Matt-black CRX driving Vanilla Rice geezah told me...

yer, change at 6500 and bang it in and let the clutch out as quick as possible.. that way you don't lose as many revs and keeps the turbo nicely spooled up at around 4000rpm or so.. only problem sometimes u can get wheelspin in 2nd or maybe even 3rd which negates some of the benefits of being too quick with it all..

actually, ignore what i just said :) yours is n/a.. but same principles i guess

haha, yeah flat shifting is when u shift without taking your foot off the accelerator, do it at about 6500+ if ur fast u should shift before u bounce off the rev limiter.

its like launching all over again :)

ive always thought flat shifting was when you change gears without stepping on the clutch all the way?

you would only step on it half way or so and at the same time slamming it into 2nd/3rd, watever...?

i guess i was wrong!?

Timmaayy.. Ran a 15.5 in a NA R31 Skyline.. :)

Not to shabby.. It is bad for your driveline however.

He's got a vid(wma/mpg) from the last private AIR drag day. Its some where in the SA section with the results.

I've always flatshifted and this is the first car that hasn't done a gearbox in the first 6 months. I've had it for 2years now and its still flat shifting like never before.. :D My previous VS V8 Manual IRS commodore really didnt like it first cracking the rear irs chassis through one of the diff bolts causing the arse end to drop to the ground then the gearbox soon followed then the diff followed after that. Big $$ spent on repairs.

I don't flat shift in to third as my clutch slips slightly.

That is what has probably saved this gearbox i suppose.