SAU Community

Help to install a system

JT

Hey all,

I have a 95 Skyline 2Dr. I am looking to install an amp, splits and 6 x 9 speakers for the rear. I have this stuff already b/c I took it out of my old car(written off). Anyway I want to put 6 x 9 in the rear, I have had look at the rear parcel shelf and there is not much room to play with. If I put spacers in, the speakers come close to the rear window? What thickness should I have for the spacer? Also for Splits at the front where did you install the tweeter? Anything I should know(tricks or problems)? I am going to install the amp next to the battery. This will be a tight fit. How have you all installed the amp and where? Any pics would be great of splits, amp and 6x9.

Hints would be great as well.

If i cant get the 6x9 in, I will put splits in.

Please help guys.

I made a new parcel tray for my R33, just took out the current one, traced it onto 18mm MDF, cut this out and shaped the edges to fit in, then ran another layer around the speakers only! so efectively 36mm spacers!

I have then fibreglassed over the 2nd spacer to created smooth transition!! looks ok just have to put a material over it!!

hint with tweeters, just keep them close the woofer, haven't installed my splits in the front yet, but in my lancer had them sitting in the tray/pocket in the door, so they were hidden but still faced up for good sound! PLUS i didn't have to put a hole in the trim!!

forget about 6x9's in the back ... spend big on splits on the front ... get a good sub ... thats all u really need ... unless u want a bit of rear fill ... then just buy something that fits and is cheap .. thats just my recommendation ... and u're going to also have a hard time findin speakers that fit the front as well ..

Yep, I agree with hippy, forget the 6x9's, swap them or sell them and get a sub.

It'll be heaps less work, and sound way better.

If your amp wont fit next to the battery, screw a piece of MDF to the cover that goes across it. Then mount you r amp on it.

Looks pretty neat and is easy to get to. Also allows plenty of ventilation for cooling, (even though you should really mount them horizontally).

A pre fab sub box is not as flash as a full install, but does the job, and can be taken out to make more space.

Not a big Kenwood fan, but kenwood is good shit for the price.

It "should" sound louder that way.

And less chance of damaging the woofer when you chuck something in there!

I dont want to buy a sub and take up all my boot space.

Anyway I installed 6 X 9 speakers in the rear parcel quite easily and the parcel shelf still looks original. I just changed the carpet on the shelf.

To put 6X9's in you must get some 19mm mdf or chip board. Then you have to cut out a square a little bit bigger than the 6 X9 template. Then you put the wood on the shelf and see where else you have to cut the wooden spacer and screw it in. Once co,mpleted the original shelf must be carpeted because the 6X9 speakers sit on an angle. I think this was a good alternative if you dont want a sub and the shelf still looks original with vents.

i have a 10in orion sitting under where the hicas unit is, the hicas is now screwed into the sub box, i was too lazy to relocate the battery to the opposite side.. for my clearance.. but it does the job and still sounds reasonable..