SAU Community

Bad rattling in R33GTS25 ?? Pinking??

Can someone please help me?? Had my R33 GTS services about a month ago, changed timing belt. Ever since I have had a really bad rattling noise from the engine... I assumed the timing would be out so I took the car back and told them they got it wrong :) They had the car for a couple of days and told me there was nothing wrong... So I took the car to another mechanic who also said there was nothing wrong...???? I am certain there is something wrong with the engine but I cant afford to keep taking it in for services.. Can anyone help or does anyone know a mechanic who knows what the hay they are doing, situated in the Brisbane / Gold Coast area???

can u describe the noise a bit better?

After i had mine timing belt changed, there was this noise that occured just slightly above idle.

It was like a high pitch, fast humming or sqeeling noise, which i figured it was the timing belt working it self it.

i solved that issue by getting a loud cat back, now i dont even hear when the GF starts to nag me :(

The sound is nothing like a humming it is more like coins rattling or something! Sometime it doesnt happen at all and others you can almost hear it when it is idling all the way through to 6000rpm. It seems to be worse after I have given it a bit of stick.. After driveing it hard the rattle is constant. after a long easy drive it is not there at all ???? Different fuel also makes it worse.. When I run plain unleaded it is really bad and when I run BP Ultimate it seems to be a hell of a lot better! When it is making the noise it doesn't feel like it has as much power! You think it is doing any damage??

Sounds like its detonating/pinging. The CAS (crank angle sensor) has probably not been put back on in the right position, this is how it works from memory.

>>>>>What you need is to get someone who knows what they are doing to back the timing off (retard it) and see if the noise stops.<<<<<

Yes the noise is bad if its what we think it is.

Do not run anything under BP 98.