SAU Community

Winton Fun Day Wrap Up

UNR33L

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good to see Winton are still willing to risk the lives and cars of their entrants, by mixing the field with a complete range of driver capabilities/experience and car performance, all on the track at the same time :thumbsup:

That vid justifies why i will not go to Winton on another one of these "fun days". Even though the vid playback speed has been doubled :), it shows the risks some are willing to take, even on a "fun day". some_cs_student has experienced the risk of the day; i bet some people/cars would cut inside you just to "think" they out-handled a GTR/Skyline round that corner.

It was "good to see" you weren't there if it bothers you that much.

As the former Clerk of Course for the event, it is bloody hard to police, there are heaps of wankers who stand and listen the drivers briefing then choose the pay absolutely no attention to what you say.

I thought they were a bit light with enforcement on Saturday, but none of my business these days.

The whole idea of having heaps of cars out there is to slow everyone down (and it works) 80 cars and no-one is game to go too fast, too few cars and everybody thinks they are Michael Schumacher. It is a no win situation really.

It has prevsiously been discussed about the groupings, but it wouldn't work out fair.

Bottom line, the officials need to be tough early to sort the f**k-wits out, so that everyone has a good day, including the officials who run it,

We have competed twice in the 6 hour, the Alfa Romeo Club of Vicotira run and they have a webpage set up for it (see: AROCA 6 hour webpage

You need to have between 3 and 6 drivers and between 3 and 6 cars. Entries as filling fast so you will need to get your stuff ready quickly. Teams already who have laready competed will get a priority with their entries.

The cost is $1300 per team plus $10 per timing transponder, each driver needs their own transponder.

Edited by Big Trev

Was a great weekend!

Cheers Brendan, all i have is old bilsteins and street tyres...:)

Was like the monash freeway on Saturday though! Big groups going around the straights and corners. If people are scared of the traffic i rkn sit a few out until all of the 'racers' get tired. Or break their cars.

..and yes the old guys watching should have cracked down early on because there were so so many people overtaking dangerously on corners.

If any of the drivers of the banged up white 33 are on here do everyone a favour and dont come to the next fun day :D

Really happy with my 1:40 on streetys but will have to address my brakes after my pedal-to-the-floor scare coming into the s-bend on the last session on Sunday...also my open-wheeling diff...

yeah it sure was his old car, i had a bit of a chat 2 em and they bought it from foulers auctions as a write off for $2000! wasent going right for the first session due to bent exhaust so they cut it off with an angle grinder haha! there was some ballbag in an xr6 turb ute that i went and gave an earfull for stuffin it up the inside of cars that are stuck in traffic, he then informed me that officials had already sent him home so they were watching and gettin stuck into some people.

Good to see Winton are still willing to risk the lives and cars of their entrants, by mixing the field with a complete range of driver capabilities/experience and car performance, all on the track at the same time :)

That vid justifies why i will not go to Winton on another one of these "fun days". Even though the vid playback speed has been doubled :bunny:, it shows the risks some are willing to take, even on a "fun day". some_cs_student has experienced the risk of the day; i bet some people/cars would cut inside you just to "think" they out-handled a GTR/Skyline round that corner.

I've got a few videos of it as well, none came out too well but they show a crowded track.

I would have preferred it if they limited the numbers a little on the track, I don't mind letting people pass on straights if I'm too slow in a corner for them, but taking down the inside in a corner is stupid, I slow down to not understeer and they slow down so they don't understeer...there were some guys who cut me off I'm glad I'd upgraded to the QFM A1RM pads on the front, no braking problems at all :D

Next time I'd prefer to run semi-slicks so I'll be harder to catch in the corners.

EDIT: whats a normal speed to take the corners at? On the final corners I was doing about 80 - 90km/h and I'd reach about 120-140km/h on the straight before hitting traffic (not literally of course :kiss: )

Anything above that on corners and I would understeer or oversteer quite a lot, also what pressure were you running in your tyres?

I was running my usual street pressure about 38PSI all round....on 235/45/17

EDIT: whats a normal speed to take the corners at? On the final corners I was doing about 80 - 90km/h and I'd reach about 120-140km/h on the straight before hitting traffic (not literally of course :) )

Anything above that on corners and I would understeer or oversteer quite a lot, also what pressure were you running in your tyres?

I was running my usual street pressure about 38PSI all round....on 235/45/17

Dunno what i was seeing in the corners, I tend to focus on the road and judge by speed and shift by sound and look at the gauges as little as possible, although i'm pretty sure i was holding somewhere around 120-125 through the sweeper. My speedo has a peak recorder so i know i managed to top out at 188km/h down the main straight with a clear run.

On saturday I ran 38psi cold and on sunday 40psi cold (275/35/18) on 40 i had a lot less understeer and the car pointed exactly where i wanted it.

I had a great weekend, in fact i enjoyed it so much that i broke my wastegate off my manifold :) , and then proceeded to drive all the way back to melbourne with a gapping hole in my manifold, even had the cops on my back at one stage and they didn't pull me up even with approx 200db of noise coming from my engine bay!! Congrats russman and matt with the awesome times around the track, oh and did i mention i got to drive the MNP GTR lol! Dont think i went past 3000rpm to be honest, Definately jealous.

If any of the drivers of the banged up white 33 are on here do everyone a favour and dont come to the next fun day :)
It was a father and son team, which is even more disappointing.

They were sent home before the end of the day, but probably not early enough by the sound of it

Edited by Big Trev

EDIT: whats a normal speed to take the corners at? On the final corners I was doing about 80 - 90km/h and I'd reach about 120-140km/h on the straight before hitting traffic (not literally of course :) )

Just go as fast as you can!

I had a great weekend, in fact i enjoyed it so much that i broke my wastegate off my manifold :) , and then proceeded to drive all the way back to melbourne with a gapping hole in my manifold, even had the cops on my back at one stage and they didn't pull me up even with approx 200db of noise coming from my engine bay!! Congrats russman and matt with the awesome times around the track, oh and did i mention i got to drive the MNP GTR lol! Dont think i went past 3000rpm to be honest, Definately jealous.

Did you pass out with the fumes?

which car were you in driftsx? i had a few pretty clear laps at about 2pm behind an s13 sil with a 180 front, white one. cars were really evenly matched, was good fun!
White 180 with massive offset front wheels. Not that onevia you're talking about.

So much offset the scrutineers almost didn't let me on the track lol, i didn't see much track time to be honest due to some hardcore overboosting problems, unable to rev past 5000rpm without my car hitting 30psi, car was slow as.

Few pics. They are only from sunday though.

They are only of me and matt. sorry I didn't take any of other people.

Vids will take a while to go through.

post-10715-1216107808_thumb.jpg

post-10715-1216107847_thumb.jpg

post-10715-1216107941_thumb.jpg

Check out the guy in second in the T class at the bottom...

1:39 standing but then a 1:44 flying? wtf...

I rkn they f*kt up the timing...dammit wouldve bumped me up for a trophie! and you up to 4th Russ...

:(

I reckon you are right, it doesn't make sense. I think there might have been a new person pushing the button.

Yeah I saw that but couldn't remember the car. Maybe they got the standing and flying mixed up? Otherwise it's a big stuff up and the guy didn't say anything about it and still claimed his prize. haha. Scumbag! haha.

Next time we'll go up and smash em all! Skylines 1-2 FTW!