SAU Community

Epa Violation - What To Do...

Recently copped an epa violation, just got tested, im 10dB over :)

Exhaust dude said if i can find the flange for my exhaust (3in 4-hole, cant seem to find anyone who can tell me where i can find one), he'll weld the new muffler onto it, and i can just bolt it off and put the old one back on after its tested.

So therein be my problem, locating this flange. Ive had a suggestion that i cut all the flanges off and put standard 2-hole flanges in. Is this advisable?

Thanks in advance for any advice or suggestions,

Nasha

why dont u just locate a factory cat back? or something quiet enough. bolt it on. get it tested, pass it and then put ur old one back on.

dont go welding crap.

Can you get something put in it to muffle (quieten) the sound a bit?

Well in theory yeah, and i've heard of people doing this, but not exactly sure how its done. And i imagine if not done correctly its just gonna spit out whatever i stuffed in there lol. And it also means i need to goto another tester :)

Anyone have any input towards this idea also??

why dont u just locate a factory cat back? or something quiet enough. bolt it on. get it tested, pass it and then put ur old one back on.

dont go welding crap.

Thats an option i hadn't thought of funnily enough... But sadly, i dont know if my exhaust mod is cat back or turbo back (performed prior to recently purchasing). I'll take a look tomorrow and see if its a viable option

yeh do that.

regardless of if its a turbo or cat back, just replace the catback with something quiet. that way its a easy bolt on and off when u pass the test.

and if u ever run into this trouble again you can just do it again. all you need are jacks or a hoist.

yeh do that.

regardless of if its a turbo or cat back, just replace the catback with something quiet. that way its a easy bolt on and off when u pass the test.

and if u ever run into this trouble again you can just do it again. all you need are jacks or a hoist.

Im just a bit worried about this strange flange. Maybe the entire exhaust setup has these strange flanges, and i wont find anything to get onto it

Im just a bit worried about this strange flange. Maybe the entire exhaust setup has these strange flanges, and i wont find anything to get onto it

the flange only applies to the muffler i believe.

catbacks all have a standardized connection these days. just take it to a local exhaust shop theyll be able to tell u wat it is.

the flange only applies to the muffler i believe.

catbacks all have a standardized connection these days. just take it to a local exhaust shop theyll be able to tell u wat it is.

Well thats a good start, but whats the chances of finding a catback exhaust thats cheaper than a muffler itself?

What model car do u drive and where bouts are you located?

id lend u my factory r33 cat back if your in newcastle nd drive a r33 gtst lol

In Melbourne and drive a 32 :) But thanks for the offer!!

yeh do that.

Except next time you get caught for the same EPA violation its $1000's in fines.

Just replace the cat with a stock one, surly your running a 3" or bigger and its more flow the stocky doesnt flow well at all.

You may wish to look at a EPA tune too (tuned to meet epa standards)

Edited by DECIM8

Any welding shop can plasma cut a flange, all you'd need is a gasket for a template. Buy a peice of 3/8" x 5" square plate and cut it out yourself, cost $2.00 and couple of hours.

All you'd need is a pencil, center punch scribe, hammer, half round file, and a drill with a small bit.