SAU Community

Clutch Fan Squeaking

When I start the car up in the morning, the clutch fan will squeak pretty loudly for the first 10-15 minutes of driving.

After 15 minutes it's smooth and you don't hear it at all.

Anyone else have this problem?

The car has never gotten hot, so it seems to be working OK. It's just embarrasing when your car is squeaking it's head off.

I've been thinking about going to a thermo fan, but if it's an easy fix I'd rather do that and spend the money on mods :)

Thanks

J

First check your belts, odds are they're too loose.

Correct tension is when you put about 10nm (approx 1kg) of force on the middle of the belt between the alternator and the water pump (fan) pulley's, the belt should deflect approximately 13mm.

I never do this check anymore, I simply tighten it a fair bit to get it streched initially then loosen it a lot till it starts squeaking. Then I tighten it two turns.

Pour a little bit of water on the belt in the morning, if the squealing stops immediately, you've found your problem.

Cool - I'll give it a go with the water and se what happends.

A few months ago I got the ****s with it and actually took it off to see if the fan was causing the sqeak.

But stupid me took the fan off (four nuts) and then started the motor !!! Forgetting to put the four bolts back on the pulley flew off at some supersonic speed !!!! :) :confused:

The belt came off too (of course) and the squeak stopped.

But I'll try the water trick.

Thanks

J

:burnout:

Haha, I did the exact same thing with my Torana many years ago. Luckily nothing flew off, just got very loose and made a hell of a racket. I don't think I ever ran so fast to switch my engine off from under the bonnet!

JimX.