SAU Community

Couple Of Questions Regarding The Rb25det Head On Th Rb30

tai_180sx

I have an RB25det head that i am in the process of putting on the RB30. now the head that i bought didn't come with cam gears so i am purchasing aftermarket adjustable cam gears for both the inlet and exahust. From my understanding this will get rid of the VVL on the inlet cam, right? well if this is true then there would be no point in me drilling and tapping a new oil line into the head to run the VVL???

now the second question is, with welding up the oil hole in the RB25det head.... is it really necessary to actually weld up the hole and destroy the head? can you just pick up some thin copper shim and place in over the hole and bolt the head down over it? Now before you say too much, i know this sounds dodgy... very dodgy, but i am using a multi layer metal head gasket that i can easily slide the shim inside it and secondly where the oil hole is (right at the front of the motor, and right next to a head bolt) i'm sure that it will sit down fine and not create any problems for the rest of the motor.. can anyone confirm if they have done this before, is it even possible? honest opinions would be appreciated.

now my last question is in regards to the timing belt. I have bought a Gates performance timing belt for the RB30det conversion and after sitting the head/cam gears/balancer/belt and tensioner on, it all seems to fit really well with the tension in the standard position... Is there a specific reason why all the articles say that you have to move the tensioner and put in an extra idler pulley? i don't plan on running the covers over the cam gears either..

With the oil feed for the VCT, it also supplies oil to the front cam journal. See the following thread.

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/Vc...30-t212063.html

As far as blocking the feed into the head you can drill it out, tap it and fit a grub screw if you do not want to weld the head.

Is that a gates racing belt specifically for the RB30 twin cam conversion? they make one that uses the stock tensioner locations, but the teeth on the belt sit a little close together for comfort for some people.

yes it was the gates belt designed for the RB30det conversion.

i didn't think about tapping a thread in the oil hole, thats a good option.

with the cam journal oil feed... this is from the post you just mentioned..

The cam journal is fed from both sides by a small hole anyway. One hole from the oil gallery. It wouldn't really matter if you didn't feed the vct with oil at all.

going by this, i would say that really i don't need to feed oil to the VVL... but thats only if by putting on the aftermarket cam gears i will lose the VVL anyway..

Edited by tai_180sx