SAU Community

10psi On A Stock Rs4s ?

lachlanw

glad i brought a s2 now and not an s1 . my mate had a r33 gtst skyline and it had a cooler , 3'' exhaust , pod filter and was running 10 psi even after it was tuned on a dyno it still only made 175 kw , my s2 stagea is basicly stock except for a cat back exhaust and k&n filter element and stock cooler and it still made 170.8 kw when tuned , the neo is an awasome motor im so glad i brought it over the earlyer one .

can you please elaborate on exactly what getting it "tuned" involved ? did they re write the computer ? install a piggyback? or just adjust the boost and timing and fuel pressure and other such adjustables

can you please elaborate on exactly what getting it "tuned" involved ? did they re write the computer ? install a piggyback? or just adjust the boost and timing and fuel pressure and other such adjustables

well mmate we first played with the boost and went from the stock 7psi to 10 as any higher and it wasnt delivering the boost smooth enough even at 12 psi it was realy bumpy and it only gained 3 kw extra so 10 was the perfect spot . then we advanced the timing a little bit by little until it took out the sag in the power curve which occurs about 3500rpm and the power incresed to with the advance of the timing and it was done on a 4wd dyno . it makes all the diffrence mate because it is tansfering all the power the way it should be not only throught the two rear wheels . ok mate hope this answers ur question if you got any more just ask mate im only too happy to help .cheers johnny :/

well mmate we first played with the boost and went from the stock 7psi to 10 as any higher and it wasnt delivering the boost smooth enough even at 12 psi it was realy bumpy and it only gained 3 kw extra so 10 was the perfect spot . then we advanced the timing a little bit by little until it took out the sag in the power curve which occurs about 3500rpm and the power incresed to with the advance of the timing and it was done on a 4wd dyno . it makes all the diffrence mate because it is tansfering all the power the way it should be not only throught the two rear wheels . ok mate hope this answers ur question if you got any more just ask mate im only too happy to help .cheers johnny :/
Did they advance the timing until it knocked and then bring it back a bit? If so by how much - 1 deg at a time or more? I've got an Apexi SITC so I plan to have a shot at doing this myself although it is not directly comparable because i guess in your case they are adjusting the base timing and it has to be safe at all rev ranges but I would be interested if you noticed how big (or small) their adjustments were.

Did they advance the timing until it knocked and then bring it back a bit? If so by how much - 1 deg at a time or more? I've got an Apexi SITC so I plan to have a shot at doing this myself although it is not directly comparable because i guess in your case they are adjusting the base timing and it has to be safe at all rev ranges but I would be interested if you noticed how big (or small) their adjustments were.

i think from the looks of the marks on the CAS it would be about 2-3 maybe 4 deg advance at the most i would not recomend you trrying to tune it urself mate it is very easy to go that little bit too far and ur motor will go bang and be stuffed . for the price of a dyno i dont think it is worth the risk it would only take someone who knows whaat they are doing bout 1.5 - 2.5 hrs to tune ur car poperly and it will run heaps better than if you tryed to tune it urself and cost about $400 . if you tune it urself and stuff the motor it will cost you about $3000+ not to mention if you get caught by the cops for speeding trying to test un it .

• 4 weeks later...

what issues were you having with the stock boost controller ? with mine i noticed it was floating between 0.7 (9.9psi)and 0.8 (11.3psi) kgf/cm2 up the top end .boost was rock solid on .7 up intill bout 5 grand then had a little flutter through to redline . i put the spare R32 waste gate actuator on it the other day and it runs just under .8 nice and stable but trails off up the top of third gear . i have the actuator plumbed straight out of the elbow off the turbo . also discovered and removed the restrictor as this is there to help the factory electronic boost controller and would cause a spike just straight on to the actuator . might put the factory electronic set up back on as a 1 psi vairation isnt really that bad when i think about it . how much of a dip was there in your power at 3000 rpm ? i do not notice a dip there / there is/was one at about 5500 but 3 degrees more timing fixed that . tried it on the blaZt laptop and it was way better all the way through so changed it in the engine bay . fyi car has a 80ish mill cat back exhaust . the cat has been gutted . HDI frount mount kit . and runs on bp 98 ultimate

Edited by lachlanw