SAU Community

Which To Buy?

Basically I have around $15,000 to spend on a Skyline for my birthday in January. I'm currently on my Red P's on an auto license. I'm making the switch to manual upon buying either the R32 GTS or R33 GTS Series 1. Just out of interest, what are the main advantages and disadvantages of the two and which in you're opinion is the better value for money, runs better, breaks down rarely, easier to mod etc. Basically I just need advice on which one I should choose. Sure, it's down to personal choice and all, but it's nice to see an outside view. Personally, I'm leaning towards the R32 GTS which I've recently fallen in love with.

Convince me!

Any reply is highly appreciated.

Thanks

Seb

EDIT: If anyone thinks another car is more suitable on P-plates (due to insurance or whatever) say :D

Edited by SEB88Y

ahhh the great debate

im a p plater driving a 33 GTS series 2.. its my first car..

insurance i dont think much will change.. the words skyline and P plates are all it takes to send your premiums through the roof.

ive had the 33 for a year. the car has never had 1 problem. i had an accident but you cant blame the car for that.

only now have i developed a very small leak as my coolant is slowly lowering and i shall fix that soon.

32's look very tough the 33's look more sleek and sexy.

personally id say if your going for a 33 look at the series 2. you can pick one up for your price range and they are a lot nicer looking (IMO) and as they are a later model you will probably have less problems that just develop with age.

heres the deal.

33 owners will prob say 33

32 owners will prob say 32

so listen for the 34 owners :D

Cheers for the reply mate!

My mistake before, I mixed Series 1 and 2 up haha. I agree the Series 2 does look alot nicer.

PM me if you want, but what are your insurance costs approximately? I'm yet to have an accident of any sort, so I'm in a similar boat to you, before you purchased your Skyline (just presuming). My main concern is insurance and especially maintenance costs. Considering I have little income compared to my Dad, he'll be the one covering most of the costs till I earn a bit of dough. :D

Without any bias for owning a 33, i'd say go the 33. cool and tough looking as they are, 32's are approaching 20 years old.

So for your money, a 33 will give you a much fresher car, with much less likelihood of something going catastrophically wrong.

Also, the extra half litre in a 33 makes a lot of difference, from what i've seen you have to wring an RB20 to get moving quickly.

i own a 32 and have driven 32, 33, 34 as well as a bunch of other non skylines... stock wise, 32 nice to drive, gutless till boost, 33 with the rb25 has a little thing call Variable Cam Timing which helps out down low, and 34s are in a leauge of there own... but now... you say you have 15k, why not get the looks of a 32 with the heart of a 33... very do-able with that money... ATM i am lookin at puttin a rb25det into my rig. from what i can gather isnt too much hassle...

but for the sake of the argument, imo. 32's are still quick, looks tough and you dont have that ugly cadilac looking boot if you choose to take the spoiler off? Admitably apart from the boot 33's are a much nicer car... well priced mods for both.

Insurance, in QLD its a couple grand for full comp, i choose to live life on the edge however, third party ftw

yeh i'd say 33 as im a 33 owner... but it is newer and the .5 litre makes a big difference....

much better looking.. but thats just my opinion...

33 ftw.. just judging by your first post id say you wouldnt be one to go swapping engines etc (neither am i)... you mention things like breaking down rarely and running better, so i reckon a newer car should suit your needs better. Agreed also with finster about getting the series 2. much nicer imo :)

dude your avatar is of an r33 so i reckon youve already made up your mind :D

i own a 32 and have driven 32, 33, 34 as well as a bunch of other non skylines... stock wise, 32 nice to drive, gutless till boost, 33 with the rb25 has a little thing call Variable Cam Timing which helps out down low, and 34s are in a leauge of there own... but now... you say you have 15k, why not get the looks of a 32 with the heart of a 33... very do-able with that money... ATM i am lookin at puttin a rb25det into my rig. from what i can gather isnt too much hassle...

but for the sake of the argument, imo. 32's are still quick, looks tough and you dont have that ugly cadilac looking boot if you choose to take the spoiler off? Admitably apart from the boot 33's are a much nicer car... well priced mods for both.

Insurance, in QLD its a couple grand for full comp, i choose to live life on the edge however, third party ftw

Whilst, I'd love to drop a new engine into the car ... considering I don't own the car outright, I think I'll only be doing some small rice mods but nothing too major for the time being on the internals.

Out of interest is the R32 any more reliable in turns of maintenance? Or because of it's age it's more prone to breakdowns? Are there any R32ers here who can comment on this?

Thanks for the replies guys, keep them coming!

33 ftw.. just judging by your first post id say you wouldnt be one to go swapping engines etc (neither am i)... you mention things like breaking down rarely and running better, so i reckon a newer car should suit your needs better. Agreed also with finster about getting the series 2. much nicer imo ;)

dude your avatar is of an r33 so i reckon youve already made up your mind :)

Ha you presumed correct :D Tweaking too much so early on, and my lack of knowledge on modding .. yea ..

And yes my avatar is an R33 but I'm still split between alleigances haha

Basically I have around $15,000 to spend on a Skyline for my birthday in January. I'm currently on my Red P's on an auto license. I'm making the switch to manual upon buying either the R32 GTS or R33 GTS Series 1. Just out of interest, what are the main advantages and disadvantages of the two and which in you're opinion is the better value for money, runs better, breaks down rarely, easier to mod etc. Basically I just need advice on which one I should choose. Sure, it's down to personal choice and all, but it's nice to see an outside view. Personally, I'm leaning towards the R32 GTS which I've recently fallen in love with.

Convince me!

Any reply is highly appreciated.

Thanks

Seb

Hey mate!

I have my R33 GTS25t for sale at the moment. its a series 1.5 1995 model with an RB25 turbo engine. I imported it and complianced it late last year. It arrived completely stock and since then i have bought wheels, stereo and a few bits and pieces. its pretty tidy. i have had it for sale for ages but very little interest. it has 112,000 on the clock now and is my daily driver. has been serviced every 5,000. i drive to town and back for work and university. the car handles awesome and drives really well and still very quiet as it has standard exhaust. basically the car has not been played with too much and mechanically is running very well. i had 15k on it but if you want to come and have a look i could arrange a more appealing price for you. I have some pictures of my car on my facebook and myspace. i think theres some on here too. heres my myspace address www.myspace.com/span_85. i would keep the car but i have debts to pay before i go travelling next year. i will miss the power thats for sure.

here is my number if your interested in having a peak at the car. 0408217243

cheers mate

Dan

EDIT: If anyone thinks another car is more suitable on P-plates (due to insurance or whatever) say :D

Hey mate!

I have my R33 GTS25t for sale at the moment. its a series 1.5 1995 model with an RB25 turbo engine. I imported it and complianced it late last year. It arrived completely stock and since then i have bought wheels, stereo and a few bits and pieces. its pretty tidy. i have had it for sale for ages but very little interest. it has 112,000 on the clock now and is my daily driver. has been serviced every 5,000. i drive to town and back for work and university. the car handles awesome and drives really well and still very quiet as it has standard exhaust. basically the car has not been played with too much and mechanically is running very well. i had 15k on it but if you want to come and have a look i could arrange a more appealing price for you. I have some pictures of my car on my facebook and myspace. i think theres some on here too. heres my myspace address www.myspace.com/span_85. i would keep the car but i have debts to pay before i go travelling next year. i will miss the power thats for sure.

cheers mate

Dan

post-40730-1216978033_thumb.jpg

im with just cars 3rd party f&t

full comp for me was 3600 b4 accident and 3800 after accident

but get full comp

im just an idiot

Cheers for that buddy!

Again, any R32ers wishing to sway me? :):)

Hey mate!

cheers mate

Dan

Dude, there's a 'for sale' section specially set up for this kind of thing....

And being a P-Plater, he can't drive a turbo with surrendering his wallet and demerit points to the Carabinieri.

Not sure if this will be any help but i have just come across from wrx's and brought myself a nice clean r33 95 model ( this is my first skyline )

it has small mods like upgraded t3 turbo , locker diff , fmic , mines piggy back computer , running stock boost and i paid $12000

imo if i hade $15000 i would look towards r33 almost stock for around $10k - $12k and spend a few dollars making it yours ie wheels , body kit , fmic anything you want just so you can say it is yours

heres a pic of what i got for my $12k

post-53840-1217033149_thumb.jpg

^^^ Verry nice Ashley. Looks like an enthusiast's car; has mods of an enthusist'a car; must be an enthusist's car!

Yeh, I'd go R33. As you can see from my Avatar, I don't have either.

Q. Just like the GTRs does the R33 GTS have more legroom than the R32? Just asking

Cheers, T

Not sure if this will be any help but i have just come across from wrx's and brought myself a nice clean r33 95 model ( this is my first skyline )

it has small mods like upgraded t3 turbo , locker diff , fmic , mines piggy back computer , running stock boost and i paid $12000

imo if i hade $15000 i would look towards r33 almost stock for around $10k - $12k and spend a few dollars making it yours ie wheels , body kit , fmic anything you want just so you can say it is yours

heres a pic of what i got for my $12k

Wow mate top buy for that cash!

Hope there ain't any problems in the long run.

Cheers for the replies guys. Whilst I'm still split for choice it's great to have feedback.

• 2 weeks later...

fyi its an R32 GTR in your avatar lol

R32s are hardly worth a look in this day and age imo...a bit long in the tooth as people have said. nothing wrong with the series 1 or 2 R33s, S2 would be a tad more efficient etc and better condish

i own a series 1 R33 from 94. general bit of advice is - if you can find a cheapish car from a dealer thats known to be reliable, get it from there. anything thats been preowned in aus has most likely been tricked and modded. mine came from a dealer, with a 3yr warrnaty on it, so im sorta covered well there, full detail and service etc...

dead stock is the only way to go, speshly on red Ps..no offence to any members on here who wanna sell their cars, imo if you have an account on here you love your car, so i wouldnt have a prob with buying off here if i were to do it all over again (might when i decide to get a GTS-T :P)

also, series 1.5 had series 2 engine, worth a look :banana: