SAU Community

Leaky Injectors

Jum

I've recently bought a 32 and have sometimes noticed a whiff of petrol when parked and sometimes when driving. I had a look around in the engine bay and noticed it was a bit damp and dirty around a few of the injectors. I've done a search and found it seems to be common occurance with rb20s.

My question is, is it something dangerous that needs fixing asap? Could I go through a drift/track day with it?

Any help would be appreciated

Cheers

It would really depend on how much of a risk you wanna take. Most tracks probably wouldn't let you enter the track with fuel leaking anyway.

I would get it fixed. It's fuel...

think about it like this, you have fuel leaking out of a pressurised source into a hot engine bay.

so a highly flameable material next to a whole heap of heat, and if it leaks a lil more and has a bit of a spray instead, and it gets on the exhaust then yeah, big trouble

if you have a car problem related to one of these

FUEL

BRAKES

SUSPENTION

then get it fixed immeditatly

Time for some GTR injectors
No it's not. That would entail a re-tune to compensate for the higher amounts of fuel that would be delivered on each opening of the injector.

Get the injectors looked at. They may be repairable. If not, then replace them with RB20 injectors.

Very common.

Clean the effected area to locate the exact spot of the leak. Its most likely from

- the o-ring up top

- upper insulator

- lower insulator

- the injector body itself (the plastic part where theres an indent from the injection molding

Nissan OEM seal/insulator are about $80'ish I think, though theres a link on SAU from a guy who sells them for dollars.

Iv never done it, though guess you could pressurize the FPR to simulate having some boost / load under it; proper rail pressure would assist in locating leak.

I had an issue in my 180sx as well, was a pinched 0-ring, took the injectors out, replaced all the 0-rings and had the injectors ultrasonically cleaned while out of the car.

Turns out, my injectors where so far gone that 3 of the 4 where stock open to some degree, and the 4th was spraying all over the place. Cleaned the injectors, re-fitted them with new o-rings.

The difference was amazing, and something else that I found was the injectors being stuck open mean that fuel was leaking into the cylinder when the engine was shut off, and if left overnight would eventually soak down into the sump and foul the oil as well, so I had seriously thin oil, and fuel leaking outside of the engine.

Also, as Adam said, any track that is worth bothering about will spot the leaking injector patch and immediately turn the car around as a risk.

Thanks,

B.

Cheers for the responses guys

Instead of GTR injectors im going to pull them out and get them cleaned + new O-rings.

Also going to check out my O2 sensor as my fuel economy is rubbish!

Also going to check out my O2 sensor as my fuel economy is rubbish!

You have confirmed you have leaking injectors, and then you say you have poor fuel econemy, I am going to sound a little smart-arse here, but I would put some of that poor fuel econemy to the fuelt hat is leaking out of the engine block and vanishing down the side of the block, instead of into the cylinders for combustion.

Make sense?

B.

Judging from the amount of fuel that seems to be leaking from the injectors I wouldnt put it down to them alone for getting ~250ks to a tank

But hey, I'll see how things go once they're not leaking anymore. Could be just that (hopefully)

On the way home from work I gave the car a quick squirt down my road and I heard the injector start ticking. Popped the bonnet and there was a shitload of fuel around #3 injector. Almost dripping out.

I've stopped driving the car untill I get it fixed now :worship: