SAU Community

R32 Brake Master Cylinder

Shaun

Hi,

My brake master cylinder is leaking slightly, and i was just wondering what my options are rather than buying an OEM master cylinder. Nissan quoted me about $420 ex Japan. Are there any aftermarket manufacturers of these that people are aware of? Also, is it possible to have the cylinder reconditioned?

Also, is it possible to upgrade the master cylinder instead of buying a direct replacement? I mean, can you get a larger diameter bore that will reduce braking effort or something?

Its a 1993 R32 gtst M spec.

Thanks,

Shaun.

Yeah, thats what ill probably do.

I was just wondering if there was an upgrade i could do at the same time, but i discovered that ive got a 1 inch bore master cylinder which is pretty good for a gtst.

BM-50 is the code on the side for interests sake. Its the latest model r32 gtst which must have recieved an upgrade because the others are 15/16" i think.

Shaun.

if you want a replacement i have one here from a halfcut low km though

Does it have BM-50 on the side and does it have two outlets?

How much do you want for it?

RHD Japan just emailed me; US$150 delivered for a new one. Thats pretty good considering Nissan Australia want about $420.

Thanks,

Shaun.

Does it have BM-50 on the side and does it have two outlets?

How much do you want for it?

RHD Japan just emailed me; US$150 delivered for a new one. Thats pretty good considering Nissan Australia want about $420.

Thanks,

Shaun.

Does anyone have an answer to the question of whether there is an alternative to OEM that is better? I to suspect i have a leaking master so would like to know.

i wouldnt change it because youd lose the pedal feel by doing a change to a larger one....

Am I right in saying that if I increase the piston area by upgrading calipers then a larger diameter master might be required or preferable?

Am I right in saying that if I increase the piston area by upgrading calipers then a larger diameter master might be required or preferable?

yes thats correct

matching componentry is a must

my v spec has a factory 1 1/16 brake master on it because it has brembos where as normal gtr is 1 inch i think

I got mine rebuilt for $100 in Victoria.

They charge another $100 to remove/fit back on.

If you can do the removal/fitting then it will only set you back $100~ to replace seals etc

• Like 1

If you can do the removal/fitting then it will only set you back $100~ to replace seals etc

Hi Rekin. where abouts in Melbourne did you get it done?

300zx is the same size and will fit, and gtr will also fit.

I run a gtr cylinder on my 32 brakes (which surprisingly are basically the same as z32)

yes as long as you have abs... for people who dont know you do need to clarify sometimes

Edited by WHITE R32

Yeah, please advise where you got that done. Cheers.

Yeah, i think my master cylinder is the same as a GTR one because its got a 1 inch bore (the number 1 is stamped on the side of it). Most other R32's seem to have a 15/16" bore in them. Mine is a 1993 M-Spec and has ABS if it makes any difference. It also has BM-50 on the side of it.

Can anyone help me with a Nissan part number for it? I can get one delivered from Japan (RHD Japan) for US$150 which is pretty good, but they need a part number.

Also, that rebuild for $100 must only be the seal kit and labour required to replace the seals. Everyone ive spoken to says that if the master cylinder bore is pitted and needs to be rebored (and have a stainless sleeve installed), it costs at least $150 just for the rebore. The cheapest ive been quoted is $240 for everything. If anyone knows otherwise, let me know.

Shaun.

Yeah, i think my master cylinder is the same as a GTR one because its got a 1 inch bore (the number 1 is stamped on the side of it). Most other R32's seem to have a 15/16" bore in them. Mine is a 1993 M-Spec and has ABS if it makes any difference. It also has BM-50 on the side of it.

Can anyone help me with a Nissan part number for it? I can get one delivered from Japan (RHD Japan) for US$150 which is pretty good, but they need a part number.

Also, that rebuild for $100 must only be the seal kit and labour required to replace the seals. Everyone ive spoken to says that if the master cylinder bore is pitted and needs to be rebored (and have a stainless sleeve installed), it costs at least $150 just for the rebore. The cheapest ive been quoted is $240 for everything. If anyone knows otherwise, let me know.

Shaun.

Shaun, I've checked RHD's web this morning and they are quoting $420AUD landed for a new master cylinder........Coincidental number huh? When did you get the $150US price?

Yeah, i just discovered that they quoted me on a CLUTCH master cylinder, dammit. Thought i was onto something there!

The part number for the 15/16 brake master cylinder is: 46010-02U20

and the 1 inch is: 46010-04U20; maybe that will help someone, but im just going to get mine rebuilt.

Shaun.