SAU Community

XBox Dash Mod :)

Cyric

so we can count you in on Team Nerd hippy :D have a look at this http://development.e-clips.com.au/anton/sh...nterCircuit.pdf need to convert that into a signal redable thru RS232...

looking at the specs for the ECU looks like we can display engine temp and boost and all sorts of cool things!!!

and there aint no reason we can't make the application skinnable so people could change the visuals of the dials and graphs and colors and stuff as well, that would be pretty swish!!!

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey guys, just a thought on the whole power input project

The standard battery in most 'lines is not the best when it comes to adding excess drain. Just chuck in a couple of amps and watch your headlights flicker with the bass if you want proof.

Can be fixed though, try running two batteries in parrallel, or just designate a battery for the X-box. The last thing you'd want to do is fry your x-box once its built in.

2c>

An x-box can't take nearly as much as a few amps. It's a mere low end PC. I think between 5 - 10 amps of 12 volt current. Anyway, how can a lack of current fry something like this? I was having a serious lack of current in my desktop and my soundcard and a hard disk stopped working, and my cd burner and dvd burner wouldn't eject anymore... It's working fine again now.

I suppose it all depends on how much shit you want to add..

Great idea, but i think you're getting a bit carried away with trying to hack apart your console to get it in there. There isn't a hell of a lot of room behind there - and it is really designed for stereos only. If you put your screen on a stalk swivel its probably going to be better, then you angle it whenever as well.

I'd just chuck it in the boot, run AV cables to your TV screen, and rip out the USB jacks and run them via cables along your floor trims and the like and mount them somewhere in the front. If you've got a nice large HDD is there really any point having the CD unit in the front either?

Are you going to stepdown via a simple DC->240v inverter or are you going to try and pull out the xbox PSU and run direct onto the board?

Xbox isn't *that* sensitive to heat and vibration.. as long as you pad it well I think it should be fine. Hooking a powerslide might cause you problems I have a feeling though :P Make sure its well secured.

oh I just thought i had better throw in something as well NEEEERRD! lol .. but great idea. Would like to check it out if you manage to get it all working nicely.

woah a bit of interest since i last looked.. Looks like power is finally sorted out (as above):

- Zantech 250W DC->DC PSU (company located in VIC)

- ATX -> XBox Converter from xbox-scene... (guy located in Aust. or will just build ourselves -> pretty simple)

Thanks for the info on the battery. I will probably eventually be running 2 amps and the xbox.. looks like a battery upgrade/additional is in order..

Running out of room in the R33 fast here.... :)

pedator.. yeah my ideas are similiar..

But I don't even see the need to run the USB upfront.. there are RF wireless xbox controllers available - these can control all of the media player functions without much hassle..

If I get really keen I might run an extrension upfront for a IR remote.. a bit more 'user friendly' - i doubt it :)

XBox will be in the boot - probably in a custom box with some nice foam padding and mounted vertically to save some room and to ease vibrations on the HDD a little -

Will probably run an indash lcd at the front - i dont really want to hack things up etc. - if i somehow aquire a lot of money itll be a dvd player as well :)

I dont think its really going to be all that difficult - a few little annoyances that i've thought of:

- Have to run wire from igniition to trigger the xbox to turn on when you turn on the car etc. - might be able to do this the same way as you do an amp..

- Probably run a big cap to smooth out the power - will this help alleviate the problems when the starter motor initialy draws all its power?

- Probably have to do something about batteries etc.

- Have to somehow found the money for all this.. :)

$$$ is my issue at the mo... going to offload my notebook i think for a bit of funding assistance!

definately easier to get it all in the boot, maybe just get a single blank din plate and mount the ports on that rather than hacking up the dash.... gotta admit, it would look nice tho :)