SAU Community

XBox Dash Mod :)

Cyric

what u wanna know??

installed the head unit on the w/e got a Clarion DXZ835MP... its ready to control the TV when i get it along with a dolbydigital/dts decoder :D you can adjust the color of the display so i set it on xbox green!!!

ive decided to save some of the $$$ from re-modeling the dash and wack the box in the boot... will be removing the ashtray and cigarette lighter and replacing them with 2 custom panels with the controller ports on them and the power button with an RF dorbell http://www.xbox-scene.com/articles/rf-power.php

so the power will run out the batteries into the distribution block, the box will be hooked into the dist block and ill be removing the built in power button and connecting the doorbell to short out black/green on the xbox psu, that will fire it up... hal suggested rather than doing that just use the signal wire from the head unit that turns the amp on and just split it to fire up the xbox as well so that might be a cheaper option (although 25 for a doorbell wont break the bank)...

only putting port 1 and 2 in the front in the ashtray plate, port 3 and 4 will be going in the rear ashtray plate :)

hal has also put in his distribution block and head unit and done all the wiring so ill get him to put in an update as well

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

have looked into a few places:

1. IN the glove box, YES it will fit...

2. Under the glovebox

3. Under the passenger seat

4. Dismantle it completely and put it inside the centre console where your head units go

5. In the boot, next to the battery and just under the hicas box

oh and ive read over and over again that xbox's wont read CDR's.... but mine does WTF is the deal with that? maybe its just the brand

that was my original line of thinking, but when it comes down to it you put a 250G+ drive in the xbox and you should never need touch it again... fill it up with games and mp3 and leave it in your boot... you can get RF controllers from lik-sang if you cant be bothered running wires and then you dont have to modify the glove box... it will fit but you'll need to be handy with a hot knife...

also dont forget padding, if your using this as your cd player then there aint much room in the glove box to put any decent kind of foam, which is why i suggested removing it from the xbox case and custom fitting it, then your in charge of stabilisation... again back to the boot and you can build a custom box and pack it in fat bats if u need to :D

Originally posted by Cyric

have looked into a few places:

1. IN the glove box, YES it will fit...

2. Under the glovebox

3. Under the passenger seat

4. Dismantle it completely and put it inside the centre console where your head units go

5. In the boot, next to the battery and just under the hicas box

oh and ive read over and over again that xbox's wont read CDR's.... but mine does WTF is the deal with that?  maybe its just the brand

'

you have a samsung laser, some of them can read them from factory, but if you do read cd-rs with it i guarantee a MUCH MUHC shortened life of the laser, stick to dvd-rs you cheap barstard!!! hehe

depends, most of it is C#, i can give u a link to the SDK if you like... as for registers/hardware havent bothered to look that far into the SDK to be honest, although i presume so given the range of emulators available... but you can definately get to all that thru C++ in linux

nothing yet, spent most of my time just going thru the SDK and looking at everybody elses code... if you connect to any efnet server and join #xbins and follow the fserve instructions it gives u FTP access to a server with everybodies source code... also check out www.xbox-scene.com they have all the source up as well for emulators and dashboards and the like

as for the SDK gimme ur email and ill send u the torrent file so you can begin the download, its like 700mb so be patient :D

My progress..

Well as Cyric has said, I've been a very busy boy the last few days - lack of sleep is getting the better of mine now.

I was able to pickup a indash dvd second hand for fairly cheap and I prefered this option as it still enabled me to play normal cd's and dvds (!) in the dash using only one dinn - the other one has my RSM.

We had to install the A/V box in the boot - ran something like 8 cables back upto the front. Created a shelf in the boot that is attached to some existing brackets and carpeted it all nice. Recabled all the speakers with nice stinger gear and did a really nice neat job. Spent the extra hours and came out with something we were proud of.

Also installed a nice stinger power distribution block that will power the amp's and xbox/inverter and so on..

http://hal.ooix.net/images/thumbnails.php?...?album=5&page=3

The next plans are the xbox - now i have the screen all sorted out (video/audo in goes into the a/v box in the boot). We are going to build a mdf board that goes across the length of the boot the top inline with the shelf - making it a lot neater - and giving something to mount on.

Then we are going to mount the xbox on the board and the amp on the board - probably cut out the carpet wall so they can stick through and get some good air flow..

Probably going to take the lazy inverter option for now - if I have any noise problems then ill look at DC-DC. I will probably have to replace the battery too at some stage - been going flat while the car has been not running for > 1 week (before new install).