SAU Community

DuaL Voice Coil Sub

haste

I have a denon DVC sub with a max power rating of 500W, would that be per coil or over both coils. I am going to wire each coil independently with about 125rms each channel and I am just wondering whether it is too much and I should wind down the gain or will that be alright?

cheers,

It should be for both. 125WRMS won't be too much power. Don't set the gains so high that the amp clips as that can over heat the voice coils.

Is your sub 2ohm or 4ohm DVC? If it's 2ohm you should make more power wiring the coils in series and bridging the amp. A good 2x125WRMS amp can make as much as 500WRMS bridged.

Thanks for that booster, the coils are actually 4 ohm, so if I wired them in parallel I could get an overall 2 ohm load, however as the amp is a 4 channel, I am bridging 2 channels to make it a 2 channel so I could not get a single channel and put a 2 ohm load on it. Ideally I probably need a mono amp, but I am not that cashed up and dont really need bleeding ears anyway. I still think 2 channels at 125 wrms each should be plenty loud enough. I will make a note not to max out the gain, people have a bad tendency to just keep winding things up without worrying about the consequences, myself included.

you are still best bridging up the amp and wire the sub in parallel. You amp will have max output one it is bridged. I am a firm believer get the most of what you pay for, there is no point having a amp and a sub that will go to a certain level, and running it at much less. Its like supercharging a car, spending 10 000 dollars, then running 1 pound of boost and getting 5 horse power. If that was your plan you should have gotten a pod filter, exhaust and a chip to get around the same amount, do you see what i am saying?

I beg to differ JR.. just because you have a 1000w sub, wouldn't mean you would want to run it at 1000w all the time. It doesn't make sense to go too much further than what your amp can support, but there isn't any harm in it. Also allows future growth for when he can afford that more powerful amp to power it all correctly.

There is things such as peak efficency and things to take into account though.

Just because my car can do 240km/hr doesn't I should drive it at 240km/hr on the way to work each morning now does it? :D

but how do you bridge up a 4 channel amp into 1 and try and run it at 2 ohm? I could possibly bridge 2 of the channels into one and run it at 2 ohm, but then I have 2 channels on the amp doing nothing. I think I didn't explain myself correctly before. I have a 4 channel amp which I am going to bridge and run as a 2 channel, each channel powering a seperate coil.

• 2 weeks later...

Ahh now it all makes sence, yes i am not sure about that, if all your gains are the same but still, u cant evenly match the power well enough, i have seen a sub destroy itself in a mates car, it turned out he left the low pass filter off one side, didnt realise why it sounded terrible all the time and he found out the hard way. I wrongly assumed you were using a 2 channel amp.

I agree entirely Predator about that if the amp cannot support it, but i didnt see a problem with what he was saying, i didnt think it would be a problem.

Depending on how late you are for work that is about the 240 kph! Kids speed kills, dont listen to me:uh-huh: