SAU Community

Carbon Film On Interior Pieces

Howie

Hi guys,

Just thought i'd post up some pics of an interior project i'm doing at the moment. I thought about spraying my console/triple guage/ashtray/power window trim in silver, but then changed my mind and wanted to see how i'd go about getting some carbon look film on it. I bought the carbon film from an ebay seller here.

I had a spare ashtray so I thought i'd give it a shot here:

The Ashtray

post-950-1222219271_thumb.jpg

Next i'll try to the gear surround... i'll keep you posted on how I get on.

Flat surfaces are easy peasy.. i'll show the process in the next one I reckon. Curved surfaces like the top of the ashtray are a little trickier, but there's two options, you cut a small section out and roll it over another for a seamless join or you use a heatgun and try to stretch it around (i did a bit of both). Just take your time.

Just as a test I cut a piece of carbon film and put it to the test.. they claim it's suitable for external (outside vehicle) applications, whereas alot of other film aren't (e.g. the some of the film sold at autobarn). So first I hit it with heat... it seems to tolerate temperatures of up to around 50c, but around 100c it'll start warping slightly - nothing to be too concerned about, I guess we'll see during summer how it fairs. Second test, I used a heavy polish (diamond cut 8.5 meguires) to see if the film discoloured or faded or started breaking apart... surprisingly it handled this stuff with ease, so it's incredibly scratch resistant.

For 30 odd bucks, you should be able to do your interior + bpillar .. i'm hoping if all goes well to try to get the mirrors done too. Not too bad bang for your buck... even though it is just rice.

rice maybe, but it still looks hot. oh btw, reserving posts isnt gonna do you any good. we cant edit nowadays remember?

Thanks for the tip Basti.. I thought it was just the opening post that you can't edit.

The reason I wanted to start doing this was because I wanted the nismo b-pillar covers, but then realised they stick onto the stock b-pillars and not a straight replacement, I would try to get some film on that instead which would add virtually no weight to the car while still giving it the same look.

Thats turning out a lot better than I would of thought, though I would be tempted to maybe use something extra to hold down edges that are out of sight to avoid peeling up in the future.

Do they have any outdoor guarantee or time that it should hold up to outdoor conditions with the film, that will give an indicator of the films lifespan. Be careful heating it as heating also changes the adhesive bonding quality on some films.

I can't wait to see how you go with the main dash section, that will be a challenge since its so large and you will probably want it done using film in one piece.

Are you laying it wet or dry?

Thats turning out a lot better than I would of thought, though I would be tempted to maybe use something extra to hold down edges that are out of sight to avoid peeling up in the future.

That's what I thought also, so I had some spare strips about cm wide, which I stuck on the underside in case of any peeling.

Do they have any outdoor guarantee or time that it should hold up to outdoor conditions with the film, that will give an indicator of the films lifespan. Be careful heating it as heating also changes the adhesive bonding quality on some films.

Doubt they'd have any guarantee - i've done the abrasion test, and the heat test on the film and it passed them. The real proof will be when I do the b-pillars.

Btw, any removed the b-pillar plastic from R34? I heard they're a bitch to take off. Oh well might have to apply it directly onto the car.

I can't wait to see how you go with the main dash section, that will be a challenge since its so large and you will probably want it done using film in one piece.

I'll probably do the triple guage and leave it at that for the dash. That'll be a challenge as there's quite a number of curves on there. I'm thinking of attacking that in 8 pieces.. but i'll have to give it some thought. I'll leave that last as I might run out of film for the pillars.

Are you laying it wet or dry?

Dry. The double din I should've really done wet in hindsight.

Mmm... I was impressed by the ash tray as that came out sweet. The other bits are a bit 'how you doing'?

No indication of your skill, I just don't believe that it's possible to apply this stuff perfectly without the tell-tale signs of "stick on" (things like creases, air bubbles)

Have you looked into cubic printing?

Yeah I don't mind, it's just a nicer alternative to spraying I reckon. The center console looks a lot better installed - i was pleasantly surprised when I put it in the car last night. I'll have to get a pic up of that - under the crappy lights of my house it's hard to see it for what it is.

Haven't looked into cubic printing Stan. Worthwhile?

Cubic printing is a lot more expensive than this film, but it is still a long shot from the price involved with getting parts made in pure CF (been there done that, know all about it)

Here's a link of a mob in QLD who do it: http://www.mad-coatings.com/?page=home

Personally I think it's a great option as you're guaranteed a flawless finish - sometimes even more flawless than the real thing (due to the laying process involved with real CF). It adds no weight either, but then again it doesn't take away weight. The only thing against it, is that it still looks like film from your standard inspection distance - from afar it looks fine.

Still trying to find an alternative to mad-coatings.com, they haven't been too helpful in the enquiries department.