SAU Community

Installing A Portable Media Player

Pulp

Hi all,

Just wondering the best way to wire up a portable media player I have. It is basically a 2.5" enclosure with an AV output and requires 5V DC.

So is there a power rail or wire off the current deck that has 5V that I can run off or should I run a seperate wire, and if so how and where? :D

I will eventually make up some sort of bracket to mount this thing into but I'd like to get it going for now as quick as I can.

All your help would be greatly appreciated!!

Hi all,

Just wondering the best way to wire up a portable media player I have. It is basically a 2.5" enclosure with an AV output and requires 5V DC.

So is there a power rail or wire off the current deck that has 5V that I can run off or should I run a seperate wire, and if so how and where? :D

I will eventually make up some sort of bracket to mount this thing into but I'd like to get it going for now as quick as I can.

All your help would be greatly appreciated!!

You will have to splice a power converter in, as I would imagine that there would not be any 5V power source there...

You might be able to use a Mobile Phone travel plug (12V to 5V) but it might take a while to find one the right amperage.

Why do you want to do this?

You might need some professional help to achieve a 'safe' result.

Chris Rogers sells an adapter plug that plugs into the TV unit that gives RCA plugs plus it also comes with a plug for the back of the stereo (v35 + M35 bose and non Bose 6 disc double din unit). The piece that plugs into the back of the head unit has a power supply. Not sure of the voltage, but i am sure Chris could answer this.

I use this plug to run my I pod through the AUX/2 of the TV unit and it also alows me to charge the Ipod.

Cheers

Andy

Actually I did buy that kit off you Chris, would that be sufficient to power this? the power adaptor that comes with the player says output +5V 2.6A. It's a Japanese power adaptor and therefor requires an AUS adaptor with it.

ok I cna make something for it. take a BIG photo of the adapter including any text that is on it. they usually give polarity of the plug. also have a ruler handy and give me the dimensions of the plug that goes into your player.

the harness I sent you will take a 10A feed easily.

ok I cna make something for it. take a BIG photo of the adapter including any text that is on it. they usually give polarity of the plug. also have a ruler handy and give me the dimensions of the plug that goes into your player.

the harness I sent you will take a 10A feed easily.

Ok here we go:

plug is 4mm thick, just under 9mm long and diameter of hole is about 1.5mm.

let me know if you need anything else :P

Appreciated Chris!

post-14036-1222946258_thumb.jpg

post-14036-1222946276_thumb.jpg

post-14036-1222946294_thumb.jpg

Ok here we go:

plug is 4mm thick, just under 9mm long and diameter of hole is about 1.5mm.

let me know if you need anything else :P

Appreciated Chris!

that is doable. there are 3 versions of that plug so I'll include all 3. give me a bit as I have a bit on.