SAU Community

What Turbo For Me? R33gts-t

Hey guys, first thread here so be gentle :cool:

bought an r33 recently, and in the past week its been blowing a bit of white smoke when I change gears after it comes onto boost. Did a heap of research and have showed some mates who know what they're on about (I don't too much) and we've come to the conclusion its a gone turbo seal.

first of all..

its a 1996 rb25 r33gts-t

fmic

full 3" mandrel exhaust

manual boost controller (that hisses on idle.. getting that fixed :laugh: )

bov

stock ecu

im going to either a) get the turbo reconditioned, hi flowed and a steel wheel put into it, or b) buy a brand new, and probably a bit bigger turbo and get that put on.

don't know too much about turbo imports, only the very basics... so my questions are..

What do you think the best option is? I'm not looking for huge power, eventually 250rwkw or so will be all i'm after (so far haha). If i buy an aftermarket turbo, will it require an aftermarket ecu to be properly tuned?

is there anything i'm missing? any ideas/feedback greatly appreciated.

Whats the budget? thats the first place to start

Aftermarket turbo, requires ECU... hell, even the stock turbo can benefit noticeable from a decent ECU/Tune.

Budget dictates where you go... because 250rwkw really is injectors & AFM upgrade too.

interesting is had a different afm, guessing it a z32 afm, but it definatly has the standard ecu? Find that out first. 4k...hmmm maybe hks 28/35, pfc 555cc injectors n tune..?

Oh forgot to say it has aftermarket pod and an AFM on it, not sure what the afm is though =/ mechanic said the pod was installed badly with too much coating oil which has half - f**ked the afm =/

Budget is 4k ish

thanks mate :/

stock ECU = stock AFM, simple as that.

Oil doesnt mean a stuffed AFM either. A simple clean is probably all thats required.

4k = no turbo upgrade!

ECU - 1500

Tune - 500

Turbo - 1600+

AFM - 350

Injectors - 750

Tot: 4700 - without even putting on labour, another 1k id say.

And given current world pricing etc, injectors may well be more

You could skimp out on a cheap hi-flow/bigger replacement turbo, however they are laggier and less responsive than a decent hi-flow/bigger replacement... so in my book not really worth putting on.

Id say put another stock one on for now and keep saving

cheers

it helps if u shop around, if i went for like hiflow or kkr turbo, my upgrade would have only cost me slightly over 4k

most of these parts were 2nd hand, but in good condition

pfc 1000

injectors 550

afm 220

ebc 350

tune 450

= 2570

but i spent 2500 on a hks gt-rs

so in the end 5k+

also saved a bit on labour as i got [Michael] on the forums to help me install the turbo for a carton haha :/

$700 for the 430 + dump pipe + spacer is a pretty good price however. What's he charging you for labour?

Be warned, the car will run like a bit of a dog on the stock ECU and the KKR430.

mate said 1000-1200 all up for all the gear + installed.

Iv bought an apexi power FC that will be arriving on wednesday.

il be booking into godzilla motorsport and getting it tuned there, and i was gonna buy some more goodies and get him to chuck them in for me as well.

What should i get next? it has an AFM on it but a mechanic told me its nearly dead or on its way out. new afm? good afm is pretty necessary isnt it.?

EBC? injectors? fuel pump? splitfires? mechanic also told me coil packs werent in best nick.

all help again appreciated