SAU Community

Engine Won't Start :(

silver gts-t

Hey guys

Tried to start the engine this after noon and had 2 issue with it.

1/ when trying to crank the engine for oil flow there didnt seem to be any flow, no oil at remote oil filter or at turbo line.

I do have a big oil cooler (34 row) but it was cranking for ages and both the greddy oil guage and stock didnt move. (greddy guage is only on the remote oil filter)

A possible issue maybe my oil pump, at the time of install the gears wouldnt move when u bolt the back on after a reco so i sanded the gear now with a fine paper until it could move, it was still a lil hard but it moved.

2/ next issue came about when we decided to try start the car for a second to see if we could force some kind of pressure if possible, but the starter motor made a loud noise and wouldnt turn the engine with ease.

Could be due to the gear being too tight against the flywheel (both flywheel and starter are off a 32), we plan to have a better go when we get a booster tomorrow so we dont kill my dads battery.

Can anyone provide some tips that i can try to narrow down the issue, like if it would be worth taking the oil switch off to see if there is pressure there etc....

Thanks

John

Edited by silver gts-t

I would definately try to get some oil through the system before starting it. you can try removing the oil filter, turning the motor backwards and filling the pump through the oil filter hole, or hae you got an air compressor, you could remove the oil filter, apply some compressed air to the crankcase and turn it over, but you will need to block the breathers and make sure you dont give it tooo much pressure.

might try turning it backwards...

After searching i found some threads that talk about not being able to build pressure after installing a oil cooler, especially with the lines being mounted at the bottom.

If i can get it cranking tonight ill give it a few kicks without it starting to see what happens also.

Hey guys

Tried to start the engine this after noon and had 2 issue with it.

1/ when trying to crank the engine for oil flow there didnt seem to be any flow, no oil at remote oil filter or at turbo line.

I do have a big oil cooler (34 row) but it was cranking for ages and both the greddy oil guage and stock didnt move. (greddy guage is only on the remote oil filter)

A possible issue maybe my oil pump, at the time of install the gears wouldnt move when u bolt the back on after a reco so i sanded the gear now with a fine paper until it could move, it was still a lil hard but it moved.

2/ next issue came about when we decided to try start the car for a second to see if we could force some kind of pressure if possible, but the starter motor made a loud noise and wouldnt turn the engine with ease.

Could be due to the gear being too tight against the flywheel (both flywheel and starter are off a 32), we plan to have a better go when we get a booster tomorrow so we dont kill my dads battery.

Can anyone provide some tips that i can try to narrow down the issue, like if it would be worth taking the oil switch off to see if there is pressure there etc....

Thanks

John

id be a bit concerned with the lifespan of that oil pump. They should have more clearance on them than that. Theres something obviously wrong with it.

The way that pump is, i hope you dont plan on making any half decent hp, i dont believe that pump will last too long. The most likely way of it failing would be the gears cracking to due abnormal wear to the outside face of the gears due to it rubbing on the housing. The housing is stationary and the gears are moving about the crank.

For ease of mind, i'd pull the motor back out, pull that pump off and replace it

id be a bit concerned with the lifespan of that oil pump. They should have more clearance on them than that. Theres something obviously wrong with it.

The way that pump is, i hope you dont plan on making any half decent hp, i dont believe that pump will last too long. The most likely way of it failing would be the gears cracking to due abnormal wear to the outside face of the gears due to it rubbing on the housing. The housing is stationary and the gears are moving about the crank.

For ease of mind, i'd pull the motor back out, pull that pump off and replace it

dont know what your opinion on half decent power is but im not looking to make anything over 300rwkw, about 270 is suffice.

It was a worry at 1st but i pressumed with propery lubrication it would turn even easier once on the the engine.

It is something ill be aware of when i try start it but i really dont want to remove the engine again unless i know there is a bigger issue. lol

Id be worried about foreign material going through your oil system as a result of the gears rubbing on the pump body...remember things expand when they get hot!

Ally in your oil will make you cry :P

Im with shane.........fix your pump issue. Unless you think you can get the pump off with out taking motor out...you can drop cross member, whilst motor is supported, drop sump and then pull off pump.

You will be a much happier person doing that, then if the worst happens and you then have to pull it out anyway.

update:

Kicked it over once more and still no go, there is a spark but no fuel so its not the starter.

There was fuel in the line but no pulse on the injectors although checked big injector plugs and they do have power.

Im a lil stumped by it, anything else i can check

i will change the oil pump, but at the moment i just want to know that after i do change it i wont have any other issues.

i plan to do the swap while the engine is in the car, getting the engine crane to my house would be half the work

Edited by silver gts-t

post up a video of how the starter motor is turning over. i initially had problems getting oil pressure due to my starter motor being somewhat dodgy. once it was replaced i had no issues at all getting oil pressure around the engine.

further update...

car now kicks over, i was a dumb ass and had the fuel lines the wrong way and by further bad luck the globe i was using to test injectors was blown..

oil has now circulated after kicking it about 4 times

bad news is that it doesnt hold idle, dies after about 3 secs even if you try hold the throttle open.

didnt have a good look at what could be causing it, was a lil dark, have to wait till the weekend then get my hands on a new oil pump

Edited by silver gts-t