SAU Community

Underbody Neons

This is a fairly old topic, but thought I'd ask anyway.

As some people have mentioned, undercar neons are illegal. Does this also apply to ANY neons on the exterior? eg, above the number plate etc.

What about interior neons?

On my previous skyline I had neons above the front mesh, and never got pulled over/defected. I drove right past cops on many many occasions, and none ever looked twice. (though i must admit, it was more subtle than the way some people do it)

I disagree with most people on here saying neons look gay etc. I think everyone likes their own car to look different and everyone has their own tastes, whether it be neons, or chrome wheels or whatever. I personally think that if it's done in the right way, eg. put them away from direct view, and just get the glow light up certain parts of the car, to compliment the paint etc, can be a good thing. But yeh, to each their own I guess.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

u are offically gay

ur a twit, stfu, everyone is entitled to their opinion on the topic, if your opinion isn't on topic then save it.

DriftinThruLife - I don't mind them, that said, im not in a rush to go and buy and install some, i quite like interior lighting, footwells etc.. a nice ambient glow in car at night

Neons outside look wanky unless at a car show imho... its silly to drive around with them as they do distract stupid drivers and lets face it we wouldn't have insurance if they didn't exist :D

I'm a fan of neon lighting IN the car... Replacing the normal internal lights to give it a funky colour, I do a pale blue as its less harsh on the eyes than bright white but anyway... as RusH said - ambient glow ftw =D

Plus for subs in boots neons go alright for that pretty factor...

• 2 months later...
How does a thread about underbody neons get to 7 pages!

Quite easily by the look of it. My $5 bet says it will just make it to 9 pages then get closed.

My opinion. Illegal or not I don't think it really matters in the end. If you ninstall it you run the risk of being defected. No different to a shiny front mount, low suspension, aero or whatever. It is your own car, modify it as you wish. If you want it to be high quality and not just another half ass'd attempt at a "perfect car" then you need to plan all your mods before you start and keep it all to a style/theme. You can't build a racer with neon's/leather interior/stereo etc. It just wont work as a package. Just as you cant build a "sex-spec" ride with a set fixed back racing seats and a stripped interior.

It all comes down to what you want out of the car. You cant impress everybody, and you wont impress a lot of people here because the Skyline is known to be from the "racer" category. Hence people here will respect cars of that category.

I say. As long as you keep everything you do matching, know that neon's wont pick up chicks and enjoy what you do.

GO FOR IT.

Cheers.

Luke

Lol! Hmm can't believe Ive jar wasted the past 10 mins or so reading this thread.. Leave the guy alone.. If u don't like the idea youz shouldve just left the thread.. Hmm anyway

i dont mind a nice not to in your face kinda look. i was a rice boy back a few years ago but now iv grown out of it (mostly). i still like having interior neons in my footwells. and i am planning on putting white underbody neons on both sides, but have them hooked into the interior light.

door open=illuminated lighting, door closed=no light

probably will be on its own 3 stage switch tho.

• 4 weeks later...

For a laugh I installed neons and can honestly say (A) they're actually quite usefull when your friends are hopeless at floowing you in traffic and (B) there are very very few things more embarassing than having a fuse blow and driving along with say... 3 neons or so, really just doesn't cut it.

For a laugh I installed neons and can honestly say (A) they're actually quite usefull when your friends are hopeless at floowing you in traffic and (B) there are very very few things more embarassing than having a fuse blow and driving along with say... 3 neons or so, really just doesn't cut it.

So the 4 Stove Taillights don't give it away enough??? Lol. The only question I have. If they are that far away not to be able to follow, how do they see the glow on the ground? Unless the Neon Tubes are actually visible themselves???

I'm still considering putting them in the footwells like I had in all my other cars. But I just dont think I have it in me. I think I will just put a fire extinguisher in the footwell instead.

So the 4 Stove Taillights don't give it away enough??? Lol. The only question I have. If they are that far away not to be able to follow, how do they see the glow on the ground? Unless the Neon Tubes are actually visible themselves???

I'm still considering putting them in the footwells like I had in all my other cars. But I just dont think I have it in me. I think I will just put a fire extinguisher in the footwell instead.

Just the glow =]

Some people are pretty bad once you have you *SAU hot top here* merge lanes.