SAU Community

What Is This Thing?

Started fitting a fmic on a r32 gtst today and after the reo bar came off we sat for a while wondering wtf is that thing. Its mounted on the rear of the bar on the passengers side and is the round gizmo with a tube running to an external outlet. Can't find any pictures or any description of it anywhere.

We want to know if we can get rid of it or do we have to leave it because it does something critical??

post-55260-1225762679_thumb.jpg

hmm looks like it might be your flux capacitor

So if we remove it then when we hit warp factor 2 the hyper drive will overload.

Buzzer for alarm?

N\Thanks for the reply but no alarm.

This thing looks to be factory fitted with all the specially shaped brackets and a half dozen bolts holding it on and it would have taken a fair bit of effort to get it into position.

looks a bit like an antenna motor to me or some sort of motor to move something back and forth. What do you think connected to the end of the pipe?

Could also be a part of an undercar flame thrower. Any burn marks at the base of your bodykit?

So if we remove it then when we hit warp factor 2 the hyper drive will overload.

Exactly!

looks a bit like an antenna motor to me or some sort of motor to move something back and forth. What do you think connected to the end of the pipe?

Could also be a part of an undercar flame thrower. Any burn marks at the base of your bodykit?

Hm....Could it be the motor to put the undercar spoiler thing up and down?

as far from what i have seen, some r32's and r33's have the undercar spoiler thing, my mates got the button in his car and the motor in his front bar but its not connected and doesn't work.....well thats my 2 cents

I'm thinking horn too..

was it connected to the car in any other way?

Does your horn work now?

Not a horn. Horn is still fitted and working.

Yes, the thingo is connected to the main electrical loom with 5-6 correctly coloured wires. This is the other thing that makes me think it must be a factory item.

It does look like an aerial motor and the outlet on top of the bumper looks a bit like an aerial housing (with the aerial snapped off) but the tube that connects the two is curved so unless the aerial was very short and very flexible then I can't see how it would have worked. Plus theres no coaxial type cable running from it only electrical wires.

Do 32's have an external ariel?? Ours doesn't, unless of course this is it :D .

Nah not a flame thrower. The only thing burning in this car is $100 notes.

as far from what i have seen, some r32's and r33's have the undercar spoiler thing, my mates got the button in his car and the motor in his front bar but its not connected and doesn't work.....well thats my 2 cents

Its a base model car and doesn't have spoiler that moves or any button in the dash.

hit 88mph and let us know what happens

Ah, so thats whats wrong. I keep sitting on 78mph and wondering why the hell I can't go back to when petrol was 60c a litre. Plus I keep hearing this Scotty voice coming from the boot saying "she cannout take the lood Captin". Yes, I have got my movies mixed up.

Thanks for the replies. Becasue no-ones too sure what it could be we've been thinking about pulling this gizmo apart and seeing what it is and what makes it tick but the only problem with that is, what if we need it and can't get the bugger back together.

Will let you know how we get on.

It does look like an aerial motor and the outlet on top of the bumper looks a bit like an aerial housing (with the aerial snapped off) but the tube that connects the two is curved so unless the aerial was very short and very flexible then I can't see how it would have worked. Plus theres no coaxial type cable running from it only electrical wires.

Do 32's have an external ariel?? Ours doesn't, unless of course this is it :bomb_ie: .

OK - what about a retractable parking thingy for short people that cant see the end of the car? You can get them as AM accessories to screw onto a bumper, but I have to admit that I have never seen a retractable one.

OK - what about a retractable parking thingy for short people that cant see the end of the car? You can get them as AM accessories to screw onto a bumper, but I have to admit that I have never seen a retractable one.
ive seen these before, they are off a parking sensor thingy. that would of had a little aerial sticking out of the front bar at some stage and probably disconnected.

Reckon this might be the answer(s). Have removed it from the reo bar but we're more concerned with fitting the fmic at the moment so the thingo hasn't been pulled apart even though dismantling it may not tell us anything.

Am guessing that it did have a short sensor rod sticking up from the front bar but that this was snapped off long ago.

Thanks for the help, will advise if we make any startling discovery which I doubt but you never know.

• 1 month later...