SAU Community

Catco Cat Converter

EeLeYe

Hey All,

I'm thinking of purchasing one of these new Catco cats that JustJap are selling for $175.

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/Ca...ly-t244139.html

If anyone is using or has used this particular cat, could you please give some feedback on what you think of it.

Cheers.

I'm going to get one 2 just to replace my stock item. For the money, they should be alright, but I'm not expecting a huge improvement. As long as it don't give me negative gain, i'll be happy.

Also interested in other ppl's experience with them before I get one from JJ.

Edited by __PhaseShiftDown

There was a post i found whilst searching for cat info about Catco Vs Magic Cat but the post just fissled out with no answers.

It started out looking like it would be informative once all the strutting was done and a test was organised but alas nothing come of it.

Then again it was about weather the cats actually converted the exhaust gas into a gas which would pass EPA.

I want one to but it must, "Be a cat not just a pipe with mesh in it"

Hi all,

We are actually waiting on some specific flow data from Catco, but these are a high quality, ceramic internal high flow cat.

Catco has been around for a long time, are made in the USA, and are proven performers.

We use these particular cars in many of our street and race prepared GTR's including Darron's BNR32 which makes an easily 330awkw with the Catco 3" ceramic high flow which has been in his car for 3 years now.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Steve

There was a post i found whilst searching for cat info about Catco Vs Magic Cat but the post just fissled out with no answers.

It started out looking like it would be informative once all the strutting was done and a test was organised but alas nothing come of it.

Then again it was about weather the cats actually converted the exhaust gas into a gas which would pass EPA.

I want one to but it must, "Be a cat not just a pipe with mesh in it"

Hi mate, further on this one, there is some flow comparision information including flow rates between Catco Metal cats and a couple of other market alternatives available on Catco's website - This may be of assistance to you in choosing the cat that will be best for your application.

http://www.catco.com.au/

Cheers,

Steve

it's worth noting that catco metal cats are not the $175 ones, and also are listed as "race cats" which usually means they don't meet the street legal requirements.

On the catco website it says the metal cats meet EPA requirements.

• 2 months later...
We'll I just purchased one now, and I'm going in for emissions testing in the next couple of weeks so i'll let you know how i go.

Ok great :D

Where did you get it from and how much?

Hope these cats hold up, I bought a JJR $199 special ceramic cat and it dislodged itself within 6 months...

blocked up my exhaust system and left some ceramic bits of shiet in the exhaust, I took it out and bashed the internals out, wasted a good $199.

There is no such thing as a JJR Cat.

Was it an X-Force one?

Its not hard to destroy a ceramic cat on a heavily modified/richly tuned car no matter what brand it is.

According to their thread in the classifieds:

PRODUCT FEATURES:

* 3" Design

* Rated at 428 CFM (Measured at 28" of Water)

* EPA Compliant

* 14" Body

* 400 Cell Core

* USA Made

* Supplied with Gaskets

* Provision for Exhaust Temp Sender

* 12 Month Warranty

catcocat.jpg

i must say that i wasnt happy with mine wen i bought it. installed it myself and i had an exhaust leak.

took it to my m8 who has an exhaust shop and he said he doesnt use them as theyve had problems.

he then looked at where the leak was and the flanges on the cat are thin and were warped. had to spend more money of mine just to get 2 new flanges welded onto it.

didnt notice much of a diff accel or power wise after putting it on. but i wasnt expecting to anyway.

I got a 3" inlet/outlet universal Catco off ebay for $35 shipped and had flanges welded on for another $20. Been running it for the last 4 years no issues. Can't say I felt any difference in power though since it's the only converter I've run.

ive got a 3'' metal one and its been in the car for 3 years it works for me,i think you pay for what you get.some jap ones like hks are $1200 so $160 one will work but i think if your tring to get every kw you can find wich may only be 5-10 kw more than get a larger cat for better flow or pay the big money.