SAU Community

Done $5 Intake Mod And Still Sucking Shut -also Heat Issues

Bond

Got car tuned after fitting a front mount and it hits a wall at 5800rpm.

Took it for a spin with a laptop hooked up and the AFM voltage drops suddenly at the stated rpm. I have already done the $5 intake mode but the rubber bends felt really soft in todays heat and could be squashed easily.

What are my options here?

Also with the laptop hooked up i could see my water temp rise to around 100 degrees. I did have the ac on but not giving it a lot (33 outside). The gauge inside was still showing just under half as normal.

Is it time to fix the clutch fan? (my patrol has the same clutch fan and it howls when its this hot outside)

Thanks in advance

James

Edited by Bond

I dont know if the clutch fan is stuffed as i have not owned another skyline and not sure on what temp it should be, hence the post. Temp gauge reads normal.

Plenty of ppl here running a lot more power with standard airbox and similar filter.

Anyone know the size of the standard piping? I may have some bits around.

Temp guage is not an accurate indicator of engine coolant temp. My experience has been that it tends to read 3 modes:

So hot the engine is about to explode

Normal temp

Car is off - cold

If your clutch fan is busted, it is a pretty urgent thing to repair. It WILL explode and most likely chop your bonnet, cam cover and radiator up if the bearing is gone. It's not if, it's a matter of when.

I've actually seen a car when this has happened and it is not fun at all. the owner was heartbroken that something so cheap to fix could do so much damage - you can get one off a wrecked car for almost nothing

Wire in an aftermarket temp sensor into the radiator hoses and then wire it into your standard dash display. Works a treat and doesnt give you anymore gauges.

Not sure how its done, I bought my R32 with it already. (thank you Mr Jap man)

As for other problems, Get a new fan, flush your radiator, and get a metal intake pipe. Its only the start of summer, imagine the poor car in a few months.

Edited by JiN_MaN

the $5 intake mod, with 120mm long metal core, clamped to the rubber, is as good as any other option

once in there she cant sux closed; impossible to suck closed if done correctly - metal cant sux closed lol

better than an aftermarket unit simply cause its a do it yourself $5 / 30min modification, that really works !!

better check that clutch fan !!!!!! auto FTW I say! :P

I found my temps were going up once my radiator got a small crack

eventually she was steaming on a winters midnight run, lost a lot of water (was the 2nd radiator fitted too!)

got a bigger unit and temps have been down by a lot more than with the stock radiator, sees 4 bars cooler on the stock guage

using that blue radiator fluid

I pulled the intake pipe off today to check what had been done by previous owner. Everything seemed it was done the right way. I think it has been sucking shut on the bend just b4 the turbo as it felt quite soft and fairly easily squished by hand.

I ended up cutting a peice of pipe i had sitting around and putting it in fairly close to the turbo and clamped it in place. Took it for a spin and its now reving freely to redline again YAY!!

Also i pulled over and popped the bonnet and gave it a few revs and the clutch fan is working very well and drawing a heap of air. I might go put a new thermostat in tomorrow and see how it goes.

How is everyone else keeping an eye on their temps if the standard gauge shows no signs of running hot?

James

I fixed my clutch fan today and the temp gauge is sitting lower although it wasn't as hot as yesterday.

I did notice that the metal intake pipe connected to the throttle body was very cool even after some hard driving. It is normally very warm even hot!

I also changed my plugs to bcp.7...It had the bkp..7. in there. No more missing under boost :banana: .

Cheers