SAU Community

Spacers - R34

rtune

I have the "stock" size and offset LMGT4s and "stock" doesn't really fill the guards out.

Another 15mm would be good.

So I have a choice: sell the LMGT4s and buy new wheels perhaps 18x9.5 or 18x10 with

the correct offset ... or buy spacers.

So I'm wondering several things:

what is the optimal width for handling for an R34? the z-tune has 9.5" I think..

do hub-centric spacers add bearing wear or are they the same as a different wheel offset?

are spacers banned from tracks and if so at what level of competition?

thanks!

Hub centric are the best for the hubs. From what ive read skylines have over engineered bearings so I wouldnt worry. Crazy camber or excessive handbraking (Im guilty) and maybe striking a gutter or two in moments of day dreaming will cause bearing wear.

it may to some extent the major worry I would have is length of the actual wheel threads, excessive spacers may strip the studs when you take some GTR style cornering.

Hope that helps!

Hub centric are the best for the hubs. From what ive read skylines have over engineered bearings so I wouldnt worry. Crazy camber or excessive handbraking (Im guilty) and maybe striking a gutter or two in moments of day dreaming will cause bearing wear.

it may to some extent the major worry I would have is length of the actual wheel threads, excessive spacers may strip the studs when you take some GTR style cornering.

Hope that helps!

I think the ones I'm looking at have their own threads (you bolt the spacers on, then you bolt

the wheels to the threads on the spacers)..

That just leaves the track rules question, thanks.

Unsure of track rules, however street use they are illegal if that concerns you.

yeah, but I think if they are bonded they become legal.

and having a hub on them means their reason for illegality is no longer there (car is not

riding on the bolts).

Can't imagine getting a defect for it either way though.

some good quality 15mm bolt on spacers with the hub lips on them will solve your problem.

I have 20mm spacers on my 34 with the stock wheels to help bring them out nicely to fill the guards and they are fine.

Rays make some good spacers that will be suitable. don't skimp on wheel spacers, they are important. often cheap ones may look the same and look ok but they are often not make from an appropriate material, or they may come with cheap studs etc. not worth the risk.

• 3 weeks later...
some good quality 15mm bolt on spacers with the hub lips on them will solve your problem.

I have 20mm spacers on my 34 with the stock wheels to help bring them out nicely to fill the guards and they are fine.

Rays make some good spacers that will be suitable. don't skimp on wheel spacers, they are important. often cheap ones may look the same and look ok but they are often not make from an appropriate material, or they may come with cheap studs etc. not worth the risk.

thanks, I got a set from ISC. They are hub centric (hub lips as you say) and look strong. They'll get what I want in terms of the look.

But I didn't realize how heavy they'd be. They add about 8 lbs of unsprung weight all around! ouch!

Edited by r34nur

If money isn't too much of a concern and you can afford to get a set of wider wheels i'd definitely be going down that path. Plus the lower offset wheels will look way better than any of this +35 or so crap...

yea spacers and adaptors are always a last resort.

to be legal, you have to get them permanently welded on, and engineered. dont forget this one!

That said, i had some 15 and 25mm hubcentric adapters on my car when i got it car from Japan, never had a problem with them, until i got defected for them.

How far through the 15mm bolt ons do the hub studs stick out?

so i guess you have to grind them down before the wheel goes on?

I haven't fitted them yet so i don't know if I'll need to take the end off

the stock bolts or not. You might be right on that. I'd much prefer not to do that.

Are the stock bolts easy to replace with shorter ones? or do I need a new hub.

Off topic but the wheel choices commonly picked by traders for import are annoying,

their offsets are so frequently +22, +30, or more ... but +22 even with a 9.5" width

doesn't fill the guards of an r34! it is so hard to find good 18" wheels offered at nice

prices with low offsets.

if you do more than 5-10mm you have to replace your studs. they wont be long enough no safely retighten your wheels. thats why they are probably illegal where you guys are from. they dont want every moron losing wheels on the road because they tried to add 20mm of spacing to a lug stud thats only 25mm long.

the safest, easiest route would be to leave the stock studs and purchase, as some have said, 15-20mm bolt on hub adapters. they are about 8000yen per pair.

also, be advised, that with a bolt on hub adapter of 15mm or less, your original 5 lugs will probably poke thru then, which is ok if those wheels have 10 holes in them, or recesses for the excess stud length to fit into. if they are 20mm, theyll probably cover all 5 of your stock studs.

anyone whos dicked with these a ton knows what im talking about.

How far through the 15mm bolt ons do the hub studs stick out?

so i guess you have to grind them down before the wheel goes on?

this is what i was talking about. your rims should have 10 holes in them or recesses. if they dont, there is a special tool for cutting lug studs so they are flush and bur free.

or be a man, put 20mm spacers on there and roll your fenders. rolling your fenders buys yourself 10mm easy.

also, be advised, that with a bolt on hub adapter of 15mm or less, your original 5 lugs will probably poke thru then, which is ok if those wheels have 10 holes in them, or recesses for the excess stud length to fit into. if they are 20mm, theyll probably cover all 5 of your stock studs.

anyone whos dicked with these a ton knows what im talking about.

That is what I have got, bolt ons, hubcentric, and the original studs will poke through the spacer, & into the holes that my LMGT4s

have between the ones I use for bolting the wheel onto spacer.

So I don't think cutting anything is necessary. I just need 5 more nuts per corner and I'm done.