SAU Community

How Long Does A Good/safe Dyno Tune Take?

AZZIF

In the next couple of weeks I'm going to get my car tuned in Sydney.

I've already picked the tuner and run-in the engine.

I've been given the choice of two different tuning options.

I can leave it for just ONE day or get a more thorough tune, taking THREE days. Of course the longer tune covers more and costs more.

This car is a daily driver and will rarely be used on the track.

Mods are dump pipes, new turbos, Power FC, 600cc injectors and fuel pump rewire.

Is there any point in going for the three day dyno tune? Can I get a safe and strong tune in only one day?

Can anyone here say they got a benefit from going for the 3 day tune?

ask the tuner? 3 days sounds a bit extreme

you dont really need to do cold start, idle and hot start with the PFC they work out the box flawlessly

so if they come back saying they need to leave it over night for cold start, its not really needed

the only time i would approve that level of cost and time was if they did wideband on the road test

a dyno tune is great and all but the full picture is on the road wideband tuning

as it will knock differently on the street (engine load different) and light cruise touch up

while doing like 80kmh in 4th, 100kmh in 5th, 110kmh in 5th etc

nice and easy on the road with wideband

3 days on dyno - excessive

for that i would ask and expect every single IGN and INJ map number to be changed

depends on who the 3 day tune is with. some charge money for doing nothing, others spend lots of time on cold start and warmup, with a power fc thats not really needed.

I could tune that car and get it going good in under 2 hours.

as long as everything is setup, a pro tuner said to me yesterday which has really stuck, the setup is 95% of the tune, the dyno work is the easiest and fun part which really opened a can of worms for me. "if your on the dyno for longer then a hour or so then you have not got your setup right or you don't know what your doing" hmmm he is right

power fc = eliminate setup time because they are engineered for the particular car.

Yeah good tuner should be able to get a tune done provided there are no "dramas" in 2 hours

DrDrift has done a great tune from scratch with my new setup, I could only book him for 2 hours on the day when he was doing a Queensland trip and im sure he spent quite some time working out a couple of boost leaks (my fault) :)

PFC and 3 days for tuning is def excessive

Yeah good tuner should be able to get a tune done provided there are no "dramas" in 2 hours

DrDrift has done a great tune from scratch with my new setup, I could only book him for 2 hours on the day when he was doing a Queensland trip and im sure he spent quite some time working out a couple of boost leaks (my fault) :(

PFC and 3 days for tuning is def excessive

Thanks for the replies guys.

The tuner has said that they will test the individual NISMO injectors (for spray pattern and flow) if I send them up before I get the car tuned. Then install them on the day.

As far as what the extra days in the tuning shop will cover... the tuner didn't say anything about road testing with wideband. All he said was that it would be a proper or peak tune. Would a wideband road tune really take that much longer?

to me it sounds like he is trying to screw you out of some money for work not done.

if the car was there for 3 days how much actual time would they be working on your car? 1 hr per day?

what power are you aiming for?

unless you are over 400 rwkws i would say 3 hrs at a max

so maybe rethink your dyno choice for now.

to me it sounds like he is trying to screw you out of some money for work not done.

if the car was there for 3 days how much actual time would they be working on your car? 1 hr per day?

what power are you aiming for?

unless you are over 400 rwkws i would say 3 hrs at a max

so maybe rethink your dyno choice for now.

I don't think the tuner is trying to say the car will be worked on for 3 days SOLID.

Most likely just two or three hours more than the main tuning session. It's just that those hours would be spent on the following days. Pretty sure he's not trying to rip me off, I just don't know if there's any "value" in that extra time. It's a daily driver with fairly common mods.