SAU Community

Holset Turbo's

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

its really a lot of guess work until we have a few results on a few cars. i know what you mean about the results not adding up. the compressor maps are all over the place.

in regard to the turbine housings the holset ones are BIG... if you look at the 10cm^ housing it is considerably bigger than a .63 housing in any brand both internal volume and external size.

I think there was only one, just listed twice. Yeedogger bought it because you told him to :O

Nah Adro I f**king missed out! The internets went down at work and someone bought it before I got home. Curious if it was someone on this board tho, I'm spewin it would have been a good buy.

• 3 months later...

Its going great! all in and tuned. had some troubles on the dyno. the car kept climbing out no matter how hard we strapped it. the dyno run done below was the day fefore the final tune and was a very conservative tune to see how it would feel on the road. the final tune made over 310rwkw. not sure how much more as the top pf the power curve was a very wavy line due to wheelspin.

this was the run in tune with boost dropping off.

P1000430.jpg

this was the torque curve :P

P1000431.jpg

and the VERY rich state of tune...

P1000432.jpg

the timing done for the run in was only 12deg at full load!

I now have 4:1:1 diff gears in so the ramp rate is slightly wrong. you need to adjust the figures bit. bacically it hits full boost at 3800rpm on the road

the AFR's are now 11.8:1, Boost is now stable at 20psi and timing is now 16deg it haulls serious ass!!!

Looks like good power, but I'm a little surprised at the boost. That looks about what I boost on my 2.5L with the HX40. Do you have another turbo graph plotting out boost vs. rpm?

Looks like good power, but I'm a little surprised at the boost. That looks about what I boost on my 2.5L with the HX40. Do you have another turbo graph plotting out boost vs. rpm?

the road speed is all wrong because i have 4:11 diff gears now. its alot better than it looks. full boost by 3800 in 2nd, 3rd and better in 4th 5th redlines at 6000 on that graph! if you devide that by 2 and look at the middle of the graph that is exactly where full boost is reached.

cheers!

Oh, 3800 in second gear, that explains it. I try to use the 4th gear figures since that just seems to be what most people judge by and what dyno's are done in and all. I was pretty hard for me (and I'm sure you as well) to get real meaningful figures since the tires just fry as soon as it makes boost in 2nd, even with drag radials. What size housing did you wind up going with? It's good to hear it's not choking it out up top. Have you thought about stepping up to the 7 blade compressor? Those are supposed to flow 9lb/min more, but I don't know if the hot side could handle that.

I am on the 7 blade compressor and the rear housing is the 10cm2 from memory, might be the 12cm2.

it haulls serious ass. comes on smoothly but with a massive surge of power and as you can see it pulls harder and harder all the way to redline no taper off or flatspot.

Even an HX40 is going to have a hard time getting you those kinda numbers. I think you should be looking at a monster like an HX52. Look at the summary at the beggining of the thread (then subtract 80hp from what ever number they put up LOL).

• 1 month later...

Interesting reading. I just bought a dr30 wich came with a brand new Garrettt T04 truck turbo. I'm thinking about flogging it off in favour of a holset as it will require a t4 flange, and it is only oil cooled not water cooled.

With a stock fj20 what turbo would be suited to see full boost by 4200? Would I only need a spacer to mount the turbo?