SAU Community

Help! Oil In My Radiator

GTspecR

Gents,

The colour of my radiator fluid is a milky thick coffee colur, any ideas what this could be?

I have checked the dipstick and also checked the engine oil cap and all looks the fine.

It seems to be confined to just the radiator area?

By the way its a 95 GTR...

any suggestions will be greatly appeciated.

Thanks, does anyone else think it could be something else?

Check the bottom of the radiator to see if there is any other form of oil that uses the bottom of the radiator to cool. The autos run their transmission fluid through the bottom of the radiator for cooling. I have personally seen an internal failure of the bottom rail and transmission fluid pump into the radiator and the auto.

mate you say the dipstick was all A1 meaning the sump oil seemed unaffected. oil floats on water so in ur radiator the oil will be up at the top showing up because there is a lot of water and not much oil. plus it gets churned up by the water pump. chances are there is water in your sump as wel but it will have settled to the bottom when u turned your engine off therefor it is not showing up. i would drain the oil from the sump and see if there is any water in it just as it starts coming out. if there is i would say it is a gasket gone in an area where there is water pressure on one side and oil pressure on the other side hence oil in rad and water in sump. 99% sure the only gasket that can go between oil and water galleries is the head gasket like the other guys say, however i doubt your car is an auto being a GTR and i dont think non auto skylines use an oil cooler in the radiator. hope this helps mate. better get it fixed before you run into trouble.

if you do it yourself you would need to buy a workshop manual to get the head sequence etc from and to buy a gasket for a GTR can cost u up to about $500 for a good quality name brand gasket.. bear in mind that it would be worth taking the head into a shop and getting them to check it is flat and shave it if necessary as it is alloy and can warp quite easily. if you take the whole thing to a shop u would be looking at 2-5k. so if you can do it yourself save some money.. while the head is off you could get a bit of port work done too. if you have to take it in take it 2 some1 who has had experience with skylines or they will think it is a conkadore and completley screw your motor. then u are looking at 10k. hope this has helped you mate. it is shit when something goes wrong with the beloved skyline.