SAU Community

Porche Brembos On A Skyline

Im looking at porche brembos to fit on my r32 since they are very cheap for what they are. Does anyone know whats needed to put these in. The brakes i'm interested in are the Porche Boxer S 4 piston front and smaller 4 piston rear brakes. I've seen large 6 piston gt2 brakes ($5,000 or $6,000) forsale as an upgrade but how about brakes straight off a porche?? For a grand you can easily pickup front and rear calipers with rotors.

The big catch is that the calipers are on the back side of the rotor. ie look at the side of the car and the caliper is on teh door side of the rotor not the front bumper side.

This means that the trailing and leading piston orientation is wrong. You can change around the bridge and bleed nipples to fix this. Then you need to suss some rotors that are the right offset and PCD and diameter to use with them.

All stuff that can be fixed. Here is the bigger problem . The Porsche is rear or mid engined, which means they have more weight over the rear axle and tend to run way more brake bias. What i cant tell you is if this is all done with the master cylinder or with brake rotor diameter and caliper piston sizes. I guess its a bit of both which means if you run th Porsche calipers all round then it can be less then optimal bias...COULD :)

So the pistons are layed out in the caliper itself to apply pressure a certain way? I know the front and rear 4 pistons are different size but i figured that with the difference between the front and rear calipers with 355mm up front and 320mm or 330mm in the rear should make for some good braking.

Are the holes on the brembo bracket the same center to center as the nissan standard brakes? I have no problem fabing up my own adapters to fit the calipers and any size rotor that would best suit the balance. I was even thinking of making grooves instead of just holes front and rear to allow maybe 10mm of caliper adjustment to get the feeling right.

I dont think rotors will be a big deal since so many companies make big brake kits of several different styles and size with even more replacement and upgraded rotors. Sorta the same reason why r33, r34, z33, v35 and g35 used Brembos are so expensive used when every person with a 80's 240z up too the r34 gts-t owner wants them. I mean with a bit of looking arround you can find porche 'Big Reds' 6 pistons to use in the front and a set of 4 pistons in great shape for the same price as a complete z33 or r34 Brembo system. But if i dont have a very hard time installing something then it probably means a few dozen people here already did it.

I run GT3 6 pots on my car. I got the bridge and nipples swapped over. I'm running FPV GT-P rotors, and got mounts made up. I am going to get floating hats made up and run porsche rotors.

I was even thinking of making grooves instead of just holes front and rear to allow maybe 10mm of caliper adjustment to get the feeling right.

The leadign pistons are smaller then the trailing pistons...this is so you get even pad wear. Rear Porsche calipers run pretty bg pistons from memory as with all the weight in their bum they can run a lot mroe rear bias then a Skyline with a diff and steel block over the front wheels

And i highly recommned you stay away from slotting the brackets and relying on the torque of the botls to locate the caliper. Use a single hole with the correct clearances for the botl you are using. Brakes undergo lot of heat cycles and lots of load. The last thing you want is the caliper working loose

having said that, roy, I remember having a conversation with the racebrakes bloke (forget his name) who seems to think that a 4wd car like a GTR can work the rear brakes harder??

I don't know how that works exactly - seeing that we suffer from weight transfer forward and a dirty heavy cast iron block on the front wheels...

A few people have said it, but personally i dont understand how its the case? Not saying i am right. But how does a front heavy car with no aero and high centre of gravity with relatively soft suspension and dramatic suspension travel able to make use of increasing rear braking bias, unless of course it was massively underdoen from teh factory? The ease at which Skylines lock rears suggests thats not the case