SAU Community

help: remove factory airbox

nav12c

Hi Guys,

I got a pod filter that bolts straight onto the stock AFM. Thats not the problem.

My problem is getting the factory airbox off. Now, the screws (and one clip) holding it to the chassis is ok, but the bolts to the AFT are a b!tch. I cant budge them at all (i broke a cheap spanner in the process). Also, even if i were to the top 2 off, the bottom 2 i cant even get a spanner to grip onto the bolts.

Can anyone help with this.

Cheers

I just recently (like 4 days ago) replaced my stock air box with an aftermarket pod filter.

My 4 bolts were also not easy to remove, I used a socket wrench to get mine off, I found it ALOT easier using this than an open-end spanner.

Once I had the bottem half of the box out, I found I could lift the top half with the AFM up a little bit to get to the bottem 2 bolts.

One last thing, my POD is an HKS Super Power Flow, if yours is this too, be prepared to have an even harder time getting the nuts onto the stock bolts when attaching the new mount thing for the POD.

Hope some of this helps :-)

Guest RedLineGTR

u can get some tool that makes it much easier...or try one of those screw drivers that have extra adapters for bolts ect...check your hardware stores u'll find alot

Hey Bud,

I too found it quite difficult to pull the bugger off, but still managed to do it with a simple spanner set.

However what threw me was the bolts themselves. What I initially thought was the bolt to do, actually ended up being welded to the box instead. I was trying to undo the wrong bolt. I guess just be sure that you're unwinding the correct end.

Failing that, a can of WD40 can do wonders also. :D Hope this helps.

use the right tool for the job.

if your talking about what i think you are use the correct sized socket with an extension bar. if its hard to undo use a larger ratchet eg: 1/2 in

if its still hard just add a 1 meter pole to the handle of the ratchet and get a friend or someone to turn the pole whilst your holding on to the ratchet..... this can do wonders :(:D but i only generally encourage this to be done on the exhaust with impact sockets... :rolleyes: oh and make sure if you do this your tools have a life time warranty :D for obvious reasons

Just be very careful if your kit comes with screws to bolt on the holder thing so it holds the pod up off the ground, mine ) apexi hi flow) were a bitch to get in and i broke 3 of them in the process as they were made of some type of alloy had to drill the f* er out .. also be REALLY Careful about any screws near the AFM meter it cracks easy

you need to undo the bolt on the outside of the airbox where the AFM meets the airbox. The Nuts on the inside are permanently attached. Use a 10mm socket, makes it a piece of piss.

Also as Craved said it is much easier to remove the airbox and AFM assembly out of the car!

I changed mine in about 30mins.

the bolts being permanently attached is something i found out the hard way =)

also, yes it is (a hell of a lot) easier once you remove it out of the car... takes a few minutes once you take it out.

thanks for the help guys

Just a little advice with tools,,,,chuck away all your open end spanners please,,,these crude devices will be the death of you. Ring spanners and sockets are the only way to go.

Neil.

Just a little advice with tools,,,,chuck away all your open end spanners please,,,these crude devices will be the death of you. Ring spanners and sockets are the only way to go.

if your going to throw them out send them to me i'll have them. ive been in many situtations where a ring will not fit on the bolt because of the positioning of other things around it. The only way ive gotten some bolts of in the past is with the open end.. its designed for a reason,